Starting 1958 g3ls when warm?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
rumpelstiltskin

Post by rumpelstiltskin »

Been for a couple of runs on the bike now and it's running spot on,idling well etcOnly thing wrong,and i know its down to my technique,is firing the bike up after say its sat for 10 minutes after a long run.Do they cool down quick?,would a little turn of the air lever help?At the moment i just try everything out of desperation and 'eventually' it starts,with me sitting in a puddle of sweat!
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Try this, when you stop the bike, switch off ignition. Leave the petrol on. When you come back to the bike, ease it just over compression, then turn ignition on, then one long swinging kick. Don't tickle or choke. If it doesn't go 1st kick, just a short press on the tickler. Ease over compression and etc. Works for me.
bob

Post by bob »

If it doesnt start after 2nd kick , it may be flooded , try winding the throttle full open for next kick , this usually works on mine .
wilko

Post by wilko »

When warm, try it with no throttle. Works with mine for the last 7 years!!
Eric

Post by Eric »

I cannot advocate leaving the petrol on for any reason. Should a leak occur and we all know that's not impossible. the end result can easily be a fire when you try to start the bike. Also you may think its only for a few minutes and then it becomes hours.

Yes it may help the restarting of a warm engine after standing for 10 to 15 minutes but this will simply be because the fuel level in the float chamber has been maintained rather than lowered due to heat evaporation, but this will correct itself very quickly when the fuel is turned on again.

Every bike has its own little quirks, what procedure excluding the kick over procedure do you use to start from cold? e.g. Do you tickle until fuel emerges? Do you use full application of the air/choke lever?
Eric

Post by Eric »

I forgot to say that in the past I have had cars that would not start after stopping for 10 to 15 minutes. OK for 5 OK for 20 but that bit in between was a problem.

They of course had electric legs so it was nothing to do with kick technique, and whilst they may have had a manual choke you never touched that with a warm engine and there was no tickler to play with.

It could be worth checking through what gaskets and heat insulating spacers you have between the carb and engine are they all as per the book?
rumpelstiltskin

Post by rumpelstiltskin »

My starting procedure from cold is just the choke/air lever fully on,a couple of gentle kicks to circulate things then kick.I did used to press the tickler until i read in the owners handbook i bought you don't have to do this?When i'm struggling to get it started from warm i have opened the throttle full open and kicked it a few times with fuel off,fuel back on and 'eventually' it will start,whether its because i've cleared the carb with the kicking or it's just chance it starts i don't know.It also backfires and spits when im trying to start it sometimes when warm?But once running it's fine.Incidentally i've got into the habit of always turning the fuel off however long i leave the bike.Edited by - rumpelstiltskin on 29 Aug 2010 7:24:27 PM
Eric

Post by Eric »

So as it starts from cold without a tickle there should be no reason at all to do it when warm.

I still think its a heat problem but otherwise try with about 1/4 to 1/3 choke but it should really go without, so check those gaskets & spacers.

Turning the fuel off every time is a good habit.Edited by - Eric on 29 Aug 2010 7:54:56 PM
paul knapp

Post by paul knapp »

Try fitting a new spark plug, correctly gapped!
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!