QD rear hub/speedo drive

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
ianselva

QD rear hub/speedo drive

Post by ianselva »

I've just had a problem with the rear hub on my 55 G3LS, which I have seen before . The rear hub bearing adjuster seems to have undone ,spinning the speedo drive round and generally mangling things up on that side.
There is so much damage its hard to see what caused it . Does anyone have any ideas what I should pay special attention to ,in order that it doesn't happen again.I didn't assemble this myself ,this was as I bought it.
Luckily I have a spare rear hub which I can strip for spare bits and I have managed to thread the bearing adjuster back into the hub.

IanEdited by - ianselva on 09 Aug 2010 09:44:50 AM
Eric

QD rear hub/speedo drive

Post by Eric »

What you describe is a known problem and normally indicates the hub bits have been incorrectly assembled.

There is at least one very excellent article describing and illustrating the exact sequence of assembly and importantly what way round some of the spacers should be, so have a search through the technical articles on this forum.

There is also a very good picture of a fully sectioned rear hub showing every piece in its correct position, done by a an excellent engineer who is now mending bikes in the sky, his name was Alan Jacobs his pen name being biscuit.

The fact that you may have a QD hub makes no difference to the assembly of the bits on the speedo gearbox side.

There were also some factory changes made to the dimensions of the main speedo gearbox spacer, somewhere in the forum there are details of this also, so you could check the dimensions of yours to the revised drawing, but I think by 1955 it had been done to production bikes anyway.Edited by - Eric on 09 Aug 2010 11:41:54 AM
ianselva

QD rear hub/speedo drive

Post by ianselva »

I have already found the sectioned assembly and printed it off ,but found nothing particularly addressing this problem on the forum ,but hadn't looked at the articles.

Ian
Eric

QD rear hub/speedo drive

Post by Eric »

I tried to add some links to the articles, had it working once then tried to improve it and screwed it up. Search in Technical Articles for Rear Hub there are two, also see frequent questions.
ianselva

QD rear hub/speedo drive

Post by ianselva »

I looked at a couple of the articles and it would appear as I expected ,there is no basic fault just usually down to poor assembly. I may take photos of my spare as I strip it down and perhaps a few drops of light Loctite on re-assembly.

Thanks

Ian
Eric

QD rear hub/speedo drive

Post by Eric »

Don't assume the spare one is correct either. Its incorrect assembly that causes the problem the use of loctite should not normally be required although I know the illustrated articles did mention its use. I suppose what I am trying to say is dont rely on loctite to put right a wrong. I just wish I could remenber what it is that causes the problem.
Don Madden

QD rear hub/speedo drive

Post by Don Madden »

Among other things, check that the speedo drive turns freely. Old grease gets as hard as a rock, locking the internals. Cheers, Don.