G9 Rear mudguard

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
jonblob

G9 Rear mudguard

Post by jonblob »

Hi all I am currently rebuilding a 1951 G9. When I started to re build the rear frame, mudguard & jampots I found that the section of mudguard that fits between the jampots is wider by almost 1 inch than the gap its meant to fit. The only way I can see to make it fit is to leave the inner bushes out of the jampots to allow the mudguard support tubes to fit inside the jampot top mountings-Am I doing something wrong? Any advice would be much appreciated, or if anyone can do me a drawing showing the correct assembly? Thanks in advance
wilko

G9 Rear mudguard

Post by wilko »

The original lifting handles act as spacers each side. Do you have them? They're often on ebay. Although re-reading your post i'm not sure if it is your problem?
jonblob

G9 Rear mudguard

Post by jonblob »

I have the two handles-am I correct in thinking they fit inside the jampot top mountings?
atreyu

G9 Rear mudguard

Post by atreyu »

I understand your problem, All I can think is that your mudguard isnt correct. Perhaps off a later model with the different frame?

The handles fit between the mudguard and the suspension units (the handles act as spacers as wilko already said)

My problem with my bike was the rear mudguard was too narrow, I've machined some simple spaces to fill the gap.
David
jonblob

G9 Rear mudguard

Post by jonblob »

as far as I know the mudguard is the original, as is everything else. Before I stripped the bike I noticed that the ends of the support tubes were inside the jampot top mountings. My mudguard is 6 inches wide. I have 8 inches between the jampot lugs & only 5 1/2 inches between the support tubes-any suggestions welcome.
atreyu

G9 Rear mudguard

Post by atreyu »

I'll measure mine tomorrow for you (if someone doesnt beat me to it)
David
jonblob

G9 Rear mudguard

Post by jonblob »

OK David-thanks
Kevin
atreyu

G9 Rear mudguard

Post by atreyu »

Kev,
I only quickly measure with a tape, I get roughly 8 1/2" between each inside face of the jampots, and with the support tubes fitted 6"
My original mudguard measures just slightly under 6" unfitted.

Is it possible your rear loop needs jacking apart at the top where the shocks mount. Your only talking 1/4" each side
David
jonblob

G9 Rear mudguard

Post by jonblob »

Hi David-Thanks for taking time to measure things for me. Will try jacking out my frame at the weekend-That sounds the most likely explanation. Will let you know how I get on.
Regards
Kevin
jonblob

G9 Rear mudguard

Post by jonblob »

Hello again, Measured my frame again & also mearured the lugs on s/arm. Found they are both the same so decided to fit half a bush in the top jampot s both sides.
Kevin