Fork slider broke - Help

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
trophy

Fork slider broke - Help

Post by trophy »

Catastropy. Doing a bit of routine maintenance today when tightening up the bottom cap on the right hand slider (1957 G9 1.25" fork) I thought the nut on stud had stripped. Before you think "stupid sod, he's pulled it too hard" I honestly didn't. Honest. Investigation showed it was not the threads of the nut, or the stud, or even in the slider that had stripped but the lower portion of the slider that has cracked horizontaly. Knickers, or words to that effect. Now't in the "spares for sale". Now't listed in Jampot Spares (doubt if I could afford it if there were) So what do I do???
Could the slider be recovered by welding? If so can anyone recommend a reputable company? Has anyone got one, or a pair they can sell? I tried to place a "wanted" advert but it wouldn't let me,the site kept refering me back to the Webmaster.
Can anyone help. Please
Ride safe all.
Stuoyb

Fork slider broke - Help

Post by Stuoyb »

Try contacting Jim at Kettering. They have a decent selection of used spares. I found a good slider for my G12 in their stock for the princely sum of £25
trophy

Fork slider broke - Help

Post by trophy »

Thanks Stuart. Will leave it until after the holidays before contacting Jim. Seasons Greetings to you and all readers. Lol.
Ride safe all.
charlieb1954

Fork slider broke - Help

Post by charlieb1954 »

charlieb1954

Fork slider broke - Help

Post by charlieb1954 »

hi, if you get stuck give me a call i have one odd slider, you may be lucky, charlie
aldebaran

Fork slider broke - Help

Post by aldebaran »

I have a pair of 1 1/4 inch forks which I would be willing to sell for a lot less than a bankers bonus. They are not complete as I needed the the headlamp brackets and upper sprng covers but the sliders are ok. Send me a pm if you are still stuck and I will phone you.
Cheers MIke.
trophy

Fork slider broke - Help

Post by trophy »

Thanks for the offers of help folks. Faulty slider is now in the hands of a reccommended welder and I will be in touch once I get it back. Good to know that there are folks out there that are willing to help.
Ride safe all.
db133

Fork slider broke - Help

Post by db133 »

quote:
Thanks for the offers of help folks. Faulty slider is now in the hands of a reccommended welder and I will be in touch once I get it back. Good to know that there are folks out there that are willing to help.

I have some sliders if required. Regards db