Top Speed

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
mikeydpippin

Top Speed

Post by mikeydpippin »

Not been pushing my G3 too much,but when throttle opened on straight road,i got 68mph which i guess equates to approx 60mph is that about normal.This is better than i was looking for as i normally cruise at 45-50mph.If i pushed a bit harder i would probably touch 70mph.In the sixties these bikes were probably pushed to there max by the Rockers?.
Mike
itma

Top Speed

Post by itma »

Why would 68 mph equate to 60 mph?

The G3lL ought to be good for 70-ish
Whether 70-ish is good for the G3L is a matter open to debate.

In the sixties one would judge top speed by the graffiti in the lav at Johnsons cafe

"110 down Death Hill 2 up on my 350 Ajay with clip ons and drilled damper knob"
mikeydpippin

Top Speed

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks for your comments Ken.I understood that what you see on your speedo aint quite right.It's a bit like 3" is not 8" ask the missus?.I think 70mph is pushing the G3 too far,and if thats what the aim is.Get a jap bike.I am selling my Enfield on ebay because of the speed of my Matchless.I did a 105 mile charity run recently and because of the reliability and speed of my matchless a bike had to go.I'm keeping my G3 WOW what a bike.so if anyone wants a good well looked after Enfield look at item no. EBay 290345316731 this is a goodun,Had it's own website go to bulletmania forum and see the comments.

Mike
clive

Top Speed

Post by clive »

I doubt any rocker was on a 350 matchless
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
arsey30

Top Speed

Post by arsey30 »

Many rockers rode mundane bikes before moving on to the real thing.
I rode a 55 G3LS before moving on to 3 CSRs.

My G3 would show close on 80, flat on the tank, feet on pillion rests, but my current 61 16MS goes to around 75 when speed testing, but I keep to 50 to avoid the stress and vibration.
I dont recall the G3 vibrating much.

Dave.
itma

Top Speed

Post by itma »

As long as you did not wear a greatcoat and waders, and a Corker helmet, and your bike did not have a droopy snoot fitted you were a Rocker.
Indeed many rockers did not have a bike at all, and relied upon cadged pillion rides and London Transport.
They could generally be identified by the huge number of badges,studs and chains on their leather jacket and every conceivable bike name written on it.
A dead give away to the bikeless rocker was pale blue jeans without oil stains.
Occasionally this bikelessness was due to parental interdiction, the clue to this type was that he always wanted to leave his jacket at his mates house.
humour could be derived from observing the bikeless Rocker and the scooterless Mod travelling by bus and trying to ignore each other, only old ladies and the pregnant travelled on the bottom deck, so the wheel-less one that could sit at the back and thus glare disapprobation unobserved at the other, had the upper hand.
Great days.Edited by - itma on 02 Sep 2009 2:30:30 PM
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

Top Speed

Post by Rick.Edwards »

My Mum says that she remembers few rockers who had "leather jackets let alone bikes" she used to cadge lifts down Cleethorpes sea front 57-59.ah bless you mum,its all your fault.
The piston ring King
arsey30

Top Speed

Post by arsey30 »

I wore a Barbour suit normally, but bought a leather jacket to wear under it for the Manx in 1964, as friends said it got cold coming home early morning off the boat.

I still have the leather coat, goes well with the Ajay.

Dave.
jonhal

Top Speed

Post by jonhal »

Fast forward a bit to the seventies. I well remember 'Hells Angel' lookalike climbing aboard a Honda 50. The bikeless leather jacket/chains/studs were everywhere.
Us on the real bikes wore belstaffs and Everoak jet helmets.
Happy days
rainmanshaun

Top Speed

Post by rainmanshaun »

Hi Mike - nice looking Enfield! I have been toying with the idea of getting one of these just so I had something to ride while the Matchless is bits but somehow feel I am being a traitor to the cause !!
Rainmanshaun