gearbox

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Dick Hobart

gearbox

Post by Dick Hobart »

Your 16MS should certainly have an AMC gearbox and the gearbox on eBay is certainly an AMC. But I'm confused by the two Allen screws in the outer casing. They're about where the stop plate fixings should be and I reckon that at some time the threads have been stripped on the inner mounting points which has been overcome by drilling through and fitting the plate with an Allen screw and nut. Looks quite neat and may be OK, but it would put me off a bit I think.
restoal

gearbox

Post by restoal »

I reckon i will pass on this one.
wilko

gearbox

Post by wilko »

I'd snaffle it!! They aint cheap down in oz these days!! douglas
restoal

gearbox

Post by restoal »

What gearbox have i got all i know is that it has a marking stamped M1060,the kickstarter is not a good fit even though it has been bolted tight so im after a new kickstart lever to fit properly.
itma

gearbox

Post by itma »

you probably have an AMC box ; also you have a pattern kickstart which are always carp.
On mine I have used an Allen screw, I think is thesame size as the one inthe bottom yoke; ran a tap to suit right through the bolt hole and did the thing up bloody tight;that seems to have done the trick.
If the two sides of the slot meet,then it will ned widening.
restoal

gearbox

Post by restoal »

OK cheers.
Groily

gearbox

Post by Groily »

And that's not to mention the splines on either bit . . . . or, as the case might be, the lack thereof.
I've run a bolt right through mine too, with a nut etc on t'other side. And used a square section oil seal on the shaft (and the gear lever) - which made a FANTASTIC difference to the state of affairs re oil leak (which was, er, embarrassingly disgraceful).

Next parsimonious trick, when the splines die a bit more, will be to grind the tired shaft and make a cotter pin, as per B*A. Ugly or what? At least my k/s lever seems to be the original type rather than a cheesy replica, which is one small mercy.

Eventually, 'spect I'll have to buy new bits and do it properly - but that didn't seem a cheap option when I was scratching my head over these various minor PsITA.