MCC Lands End Trial 2009

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
kernow kid

MCC Lands End Trial 2009

Post by kernow kid »

Im just sorting out the long johns and waterproofs so I can get up nice and early (3-30am) to go and marshall on the Lands End. Good luck to any AMC'ers taking part. I'll be at Darracott, first bike due at 5-05am. The amazing Land Rover mobile grill and cafe will be open, but only for marshalls, sorry!
The Hinckley Tiger 900 is loaded, so keep your eyes out for a big blue triple parked somewhere up the section.
Results to follow!
Regards KK
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
kernow kid

MCC Lands End Trial 2009

Post by kernow kid »

After scraping the light frost off the Tiger's seat, the section was all ready for the first bike by 4-30.
Was nice to chat to either Ian Watkins (G3L) or Graham Lloyd (G3L) even if Roger Ashby was on an Ariel!
Also taking part were Ian Rennie(AJS 350) and John Truscott (AJS 18C).
Im fairly certain all AMC'ers cleaned our section, so well done and I hope you all made it to the finish.
Actual results come out in a couple of weeks.
Regards KK
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
john

MCC Lands End Trial 2009

Post by john »

I’m still waiting for the results but I now know I have cleaned one hill.

I really like Darracott, once the restarts done you can use some power to get up rough but grippy parts of the hill. But it was muddy getting to the start! Did you have any problems with cars?

Thanks for marshalling as I had great trial and was pleased to get to the end, as it was the first outing for my 18C.

John Truscott (71)
Edited by - john on 22 Apr 2009 7:18:02 PM
kernow kid

MCC Lands End Trial 2009

Post by kernow kid »

Hi John,
Glad you enjoyed the section. We are fairly sure its the longest observed section on the whole trial, so as you say, gives you something to get your teeth into.
Yes, it was surprising which cars did suffer at the restart. The softly softly approach didnt work too well, so the rev it till the valves bounce angle seemed best!
The blimmin Citroen 2CV's were worst! It did allow us to recall a famous tale from several years back when one of our club members, on this very section, found himself struggling to push a 2CV that had run out of puff only yards from the start of the section. It had one of those roll back sun roofs, and our marshall leaned in over and says to the driver 'Ere mate, have you got a garage back home?'
The driver looks up and with a smug look, replies, 'Oh yes!'
Our marshall then replies, with a grimace, 'Well, leave the effin thing there next year!!'
From that moment on and every year since, anything approaching the section that looks unlikely to get up it, always results in someone wondering if the drivers' got a garage! Mind you, a Reliant Robin thrummed up without too much trouble!
Regards KK

john

MCC Lands End Trial 2009

Post by john »

It sounds like you were on the start, is that because any further up the hill you would be too far into Devon?

John T