for the expats and colonials; Plumstead 2009

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
itma

Post by itma »

Googles new plaything

Here is the approximate site of the Matchless factory.and what they've stuck on it.
you can play around and find Burrage Grove or whats left, the Maxey Road steet plan has been eradicated and moved.

Be aware it soaks up huge amounts of memory while using it, you may need to clear temp files after;my creaking machine throws a sulk after about 10 minutes of it
It takes a while to settle to a photo

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/mpl?layer ... 71954,,0,5

wot oil? 50 oil thats wot oi`l always oil wiv
Edited by - itma on 24 Mar 2009 9:05:19 PM
jonhal

Post by jonhal »

Clever stuff. They havn't got round to my st yet, still the overhead shot showing my old patio of three years ago
Anyone notice the Honda 50 trundling down Plumstead Road, sighEdited by - jonhal on 24 Mar 2009 9:30:23 PMEdited by - jonhal on 24 Mar 2009 9:31:04 PM
arkwright

Post by arkwright »

Hi Ken, I first walked up Timbercroft Lane on the common in 1936 it had orchards up one side behind a great big hedge all very quiet and sedate at that time I've just come down it past a artic coming out of Pendrill Street, got to the Whody noticed loads of litter and on to the common it's not the same since we were taken over by Greenwich B.C.They let that lot in from Forest Hill you know I pasted my bike test in Injun Country( Lee Green) so I know what I am talking about. I off to Fanny on the Hill now to get some practice in!
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

Post by Rick.Edwards »

I tried to find the plaque we put there a couple of years ago on the corner, but within seconds I was heading for the sky so came back here. Will look again though nice one Ken.
The piston ring King
matman

Post by matman »

quote: I tried to find the plaque we put there a couple of years ago on the corner

This one? http://www.ajs-matchless.com/pic_display.asp?id=664
griffin

Post by griffin »

quote:
Googles new plaything
Here is the approximate site of the Matchless factory.

If you zoom in you can see the side road called Walker Close,I wonder if its named after Phil Walker the designer of the twins and others ??
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

Post by Rick.Edwards »

yep thats the one Jan. pound to phenig its been pinched though.
The piston ring King
arkwright

Post by arkwright »

I have just been on Google 's new play station again and if you go back to Burrage Road junction with the Plumstead Road where Sidney Ross shop opposite Sharlands was, you can turn first left into Burrage Grove go to the far end of the school playground and the factory started there just pasted the no-entry sign on the left hand side of the road. A liittle further past the school on the other side of the road was where the Repair Shop and Race Shop was situated they backed onto the railway, the pub and school are the only parts of the complete area that are recognisable now