7/16" 26tpi LEFT HAND die

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Galea

Post by Galea »

I need a die for the 7/16" 26tpi LEFT HAND thread of the timing side crankshaft of the Matchless G3L. I have been unable to find it online or locally so far. If anyone has one lying about, and he is willing to sell, please let me know. Or else, he can lend it to me and send it by post. I will of course refund postage plus the cost of a pint of your choice

Regards,

Joseph
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

As I suggested earlier, I think you will be wasting your money on a tap. The shaft is very hard, perhaps 56-57 Rockwell, & likely to ruin a tap. If I recall, you already tried a file, which would be as hard as a tap, without success. A triangular oilstone is the only thing hard enough to do the job. If the threads are badly damaged, only replacement will serve.

Cheers, Don.
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

GOOD ! Morning Over there in the " USA"
Dear Don
Can we have your "TAP" amended to a "DIE"?
All that Californian Sun seems to have had an affect .How i wish i could soak up some.
r w webb
Galea

Post by Galea »

Found the correct die and ordered it, fingers crossed I will be able to fix the thread when it arrives! The thread does not seem visibly damaged, so hopefully the die will not be stressed to much, although as Don said the shaft is very hard. The joys of working on these old machines!
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Thanks for the correction, Rex. I plead old age, senility, dyslexia, & intoxication as a defence. I am as good now as I will likely be in the future.

Cheers, Don.