G2 Motorcycle battery - which one???

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
paul miles

Post by paul miles »

Hi everybody,
The battery that I used last year on my G2 CSR has died,it was a sprint B49-6, I was wondering if this is the correct battery for this bike as I noticed that the correct battery is 12 ah and the B49-6 is only 8 ah. Could it be that Ive used the wrong battery or does ah not matter too much here?? It was only a low priced battery from Kempton park so maybe that was the reason why it never survived the winter months. I always keep them charged on a optimiser so it should of lived longer but didnt.
Any help about the correct battery and where to get it from would be great.......

Regards
Paul M
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Paul, see "battery" charging topic for advice. I had acheap battery on my "Vin" for 6 years,the next one lasted 6 months!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
jonhal

Post by jonhal »

I bought the correct battery direct from Varta for my G80. Just over a year old and cannot keep charged over this recent cold snap. I use the bike over winter if its a good day and the alt/reg is fine. Seems like pot luck with batteries. Varta of course are not interested, any ideas for a good battery would be welcome
paul miles

Post by paul miles »

Hi All,
Thanks for all you help & advice, it seems its pot luck really when it comes to batteries I guess
Regards
paul M
deshollier
Deceased

Post by deshollier »

An uncle of mine once worked for a battery supplier. One particular battery was sold in three versions, each more expensive than the previous. The batteries were identical apart from the label which was either the standard one, or a Silver Seal or Gold Seal one, stuck on at the time of purchase. So what were you buying? A 1,2,or 3 year guarantee!
I have a Varta which I bought a few months ago. I don't expect Varta to be interested if it fails when it is just over a year old, as it only has a years guarantee on it. Now if it was available with a different colour label - it would be a completely different story! Edited by - deshollier on 24 Feb 2009 09:09:05 AM
paul knapp

Post by paul knapp »

You generally get what you pay for, the most important thing is having the correct voltage.
The only benefit in having a battery with a larger capacity, (more amp hours), is it will have a bigger reserve before 'going flat' if the lights or ignition is left on without the engine running.
Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

jonhal

Post by jonhal »

quote:
I don't expect Varta to be interested if it fails when it is just over a year old, as it only has a years guarantee on it. Now if it was available with a different colour label - it would be a completley different story!

Sounds about right, they also said my battery was correct for my electric start Harris. Think I will try somewhere localEdited by - jonhal on 24 Feb 2009 07:30:55 AM
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Hi,
From personal experience, I can highly recommend the 'Cyclon' make/type. These are dry cells, so can be mounted any which way. Not particularly designed for motorcycles, but will fit and available in 6v and 12v with different Ah capacities. My father has an 8Ah unit on his 59 350, which has been fitted for about 4 years..never charged over winter, rarely started over winter. Its been faultless, and he got his secondhand off a Westfield ride on mower! Look on Ebay for Cyclon battery. Not the cheapest, but they are well made and designed for long periods of idleness..also being sealed, no acid fumes to worry about. They are quite resistant to irregular charging too, like slightly higher voltage or currents.
Regards KK
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...