Is it me?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Don Madden

Is it me?

Post by Don Madden »

I would be most pleased to buy for anyone who can come, & for those as yourself that have done so much for the Club, I will buy 'til my pockets are empty, but I don't have deep pockets.

It is a bit chilly here right now with frosty mornings & intermittant rain but you lot would consider it tropical. Will join the NOC for an annual ride to a bike/sports car museum in Ojai. Mother nature must be a Brit bike lover as the rain is expected to hold off until the afternoon.

Cheers, Don.
jonhal

Is it me?

Post by jonhal »

I'm with Norwich Union, out of interest I contacted them the other day to ask about accident repairs etc. After I got Him past the usual write off market value stuff, I pointed out you cannot just write off machines like this. He said I could take it to a garage/repairer of my choice who are better placed to source parts. Mind you this all depends on costs which He didn't go into but you can bet they would if a claim went in
deshollier
Deceased

Is it me?

Post by deshollier »

The point about CN is that the policy is tailored to classic bikes and does allow use of non standard parts or accessories, takes account of declared value as opposed to market value and allows the damaged bike, if written off, to be bought back at an agreed basket case price. Others may be the same of course but it is probably best to make sure.
thomthom

Is it me?

Post by thomthom »

Free beer,

bloody hell Don, you never offered me a beer when I said I was in the area. I would have gladly driven a couple of days off my route to get that beer
Don Madden

Is it me?

Post by Don Madden »

Hi, Tony. I did offer to meet up with you & sent contact info. I did not hear from you & assumed your iteniary made a meetup difficult. I didn't offer the beer for fear that you would take me up on it.

Did you buy the Rocket III bikes for your tour? Great for touring but too big for me.

Cheers, Don.
Mallet

Is it me?

Post by Mallet »

quote:
An experience best avoided
They will argue like mad,prevaricate, try to write it off or make life so difficult you get fed up and go away.
deny obfuscate confuse
Ask me how I know.

Back in London I watched the near blind driver of a Corona lorry[remember them?] glasses like bottle bottoms, get into his lorry and drive off over my wifes parked 1957 BSA; The claim on that was a joy; as a VAT registered motorcycle business I could and did provide estimate and invoice for the repair of said bike.
The insurance tried to avoid paying anything out at all on the grounds of its age[this was back in 1980] and a claims assessor visited my shop to deride the claim and point out that I could not repair the bike as BSA were out of business and no spares were to be had.
I let him go on for a bit before asking him to cast his 'expert' eye around a shop full of NEW old stock obselete BSA spares.
Don't get me started.
Insurance companies and their extortion rackets were instrumental in putting me out of business in 1988.
I think insurance should be a barred topic as it just gets me RAnting!!

Imagine if insurance was'nt compulsary,like it is in Australia.When i visited my Brother a few years back i was astounded to be offered to hop in & drive on our regular days out,when i questioned the insurance implications,he replied to not worry about it as the system is quite different out there.They dont even have car tax!
What they have is that you re-register your number plate every year with the state Government(the plate belongs to the indivdual,not the car) & pay a small fee.That fee includes third party insurance so if you want a higher insurance,it's a matter of choice.Compared to what we pay out for tax & insurance,it is a small fee too!(if i'm wrong about this,i'm sure our Australian cousins will let us know)
I guess that insurance company's out there have to chase you with cheap deals just to get the business,whereas here,the bugger's know that it's the law,so i think we generally get screwed!
Born Hampshire, Ride Hampshire!
jonhal

Is it me?

Post by jonhal »

Just had an email from MCN Compare.
Best quote for my G80 was £68 fully comp from Swinton Bikes. Have used Swinton in the past for my cars.Edited by - jonhal on 23 Feb 2009 10:19:07 PMEdited by - jonhal on 23 Feb 2009 10:19:53 PM