Indicators and mirrors

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
mousey

Indicators and mirrors

Post by mousey »

Got my 'bar end' mirror at Bridge Road Motorcycles www.brmc.co.uk for £10. Normally £10 plus £6 p&p, but as I called personally (just 10 miles from where I live) he waived the p&p. I'm sure your local stockist would do the same.
Grin and bare it!
crawsue

Indicators and mirrors

Post by crawsue »

Dave,£3500 sounds way over the top,lots of 'bikes appear in the website "Adverts" section,Ebay always has plenty...but you must view personally.What you go for as in condition is a personal choice,but waiting for an unmolested 'bike from a long term owner who has cherished it is my advice,most machines like that are sold by older guys who want to know that their "baby" is going to good home.Check out your local section,there could be something there with some known history.Don't rush,the last 'bike has not been sold yet!
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
arsey30

Indicators and mirrors

Post by arsey30 »

Thats just about what the one I saw is like.

Bought locally [5m] owned for 22 years then sold locally [5m] to a chap who kept the complete history for the next 25 years, appears to be genuine 10,000m and unrestored original, except for concentric carb, but a local shop has the 376, if not obtainable from the club, which I am about to join.

I try to buy the best bikes I can find, or at least the best I can afford, to stand some chance of getting a good one.

Dave.
KRM

Indicators and mirrors

Post by KRM »

I rembember (just ! ) failing my bike test for using mirrors rather than looking over my shoulder prior to every change of direction.

On the re-test i must have spent more time looking backward than forward but the tester was happy.

anyway since then (and a couple of miles later !!!) mirrors or not, I always look over my shoulder - even with a full face lid - it's just a great habit to get in to and has certainly saved me a few brusies and repaints !!

Having said that I like folding bar end mirrors - seems to be less vib. Indicators...I don't care either way. Again I took my test on a bike with no indicators and it forced me to damn well know what was around me and use a more defensive riding style.

Is the "look over shoulder thing" still part of the test ?...I guess it should be...
laxy

Indicators and mirrors

Post by laxy »

Glancing over your shoulder before you carry out any change of direction/manouvre is a good habit to have for two reasons.
A quick glance can pick out something in the blind spot of the most carefully adjusted mirror.
The half asleep motorist behind you may not see you checking your mirror but if the motorcyclist in front looks over his/her shoulder then that is warning enough that they are about to do something.
Janet

Indicators and mirrors

Post by Janet »

quote:

Is the "look over shoulder thing" still part of the test ?...I guess it should be...

It still is, commonly known as a shoulder check or lifesaver. Just before making any manoeuvre, such as turning or changing lanes, it's used to make sure that there isn't another vehicle that you haven't seen already heading for the same space. Mirrors are perfectly acceptable for keeping an eye on what is happening behind but which is less of a risk while you're all toddling along in a relatively straight line.
arsey30

Indicators and mirrors

Post by arsey30 »

I went for a test ride on a 350 AJS yesterday, but I think I will fit mirrors and indicators if I buy it, as I felt vulnerable turning right and over taking.
I was amazed at the road holding and comfort, I thought it would feel poor compared to a more modern bike, although I thought my CSR steered well enough at the time
The last time I rode 350 and 650 Matchless's was 1961 to 1965 and I was surprised how good this one felt, the singles ability to plod is a nice change from from a high reving V4 [15,000rpm against 5,800]
Dave.
crawsue

Indicators and mirrors

Post by crawsue »

If you are still looking,check out the G80 on Ebay,if it is as good as it looks and reads it will go for a hell of a lot less than £3,500,unless ,of course that was a "typo".NO G3 is worth anywhere near that kind of money,by any measurement G80's go for approx £1000 more than an equivalent G3.
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
arsey30

Indicators and mirrors

Post by arsey30 »

I know it is expensive, but I am attracted to as it as it is a long term known local bike with known history, original and unrestored, with only 10,000m.

Dave.