1953 16MS tank fittings

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Stan Palmer

1953 16MS tank fittings

Post by Stan Palmer »

Can somebody tell me the outer diameter for the large washers on the petrol tank bolts, and the outer diameter of the spacers please. All missing on my bike. Apologies if this has been in previous answers, couldn't find it by searching.
SPRIDDLER

1953 16MS tank fittings

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Stan, can't measure the spacers/collars as they are fitted and inaccessible but they are an interference fit in the rubber bushes. It's more important though to get the length right!
The large 'penny' washer is 1 1/8" o.d.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Chazzyb

1953 16MS tank fittings

Post by Chazzyb »

Stan, I have a spacer at home I can wield a caliper at. I'll see if I can find it (the spacer) tonight.
Charles
deshollier
Deceased

1953 16MS tank fittings

Post by deshollier »

£8.60 will get you a full set of rubbers, spacers and washers from JSL - see Miscellaneous - Section D, Petrol and Oil Tanks, Page 1. Bolts are £2.50 each.
Chazzyb

1953 16MS tank fittings

Post by Chazzyb »

Stan, the spacers I have are 0.825" by 0.435" - whatever that is in coinage of the realm. Metric probably...
Charles
Stan Palmer

1953 16MS tank fittings

Post by Stan Palmer »

Thanks for the information Chas and Spriddler. The parts list says 13/16 for spacer length, giving about 3/16 total compression on the rubbers if the bolts were fully tightened, which sounds well enough.
Des, I am using stainless steel where practical (though the spacer sleeves will be carbon steel), I know it's bad form but I like it. I am currently on the bigger hardware, painting, nuts and bolts sourcing/making and polishing of aluminium when I fancy getting covered in muck. My plan is to get to rolling chassis state first. The myriad bits and pieces from JSL will come later (much later given the delays in nearly everything).