Oh B----r

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Brad

Oh B----r

Post by Brad »

My son was visiting and fancied a ride on the back of the AJ. It was one of those rare fine summer evenings so off we went. I should add that my son is 34 and I am 38 er waist that is.
All was fine as we cruised the nearby lanes until we came to a sweeping right hander or as I was soon to find out a sweeping bumpy right hander.
The sound of silencer scraping along the road was to be applauded when I was 18, but not now and not on my otherwise unblemished machine.
Oh well, I bought it to ride and the scratches only show if you make a determined effort to see them, so beware, life can jump up and bite your bum when you least expect it.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. ;)
Youngster

Oh B----r

Post by Youngster »

Hi Brad,

Look on the plus side, when you eventually pass the bike onto your son, he can remenice about the evening when you got the exhaust down.

Ive heard stories about my Dad riding what is now my G80s up and down steps. I couldnt help but chuckle when i saw the shattered internals on the jampots.
Too many bikes, So little time!!
poplargreg

Oh B----r

Post by poplargreg »

quote:
Hi Brad,

Look on the plus side, when you eventually pass the bike onto your son, he can remenice about the evening when you got the exhaust down.

Last summer, about half a mile from where I was working just outside Hereford, a father and son (mid fifties and thirties)were taking a similar ride on the father's new BMW.

On a sweeping left hander they ran over a thin layer of gravel dropped by a tipper lorry. Unfortunately they won't be able to reminise as a car was approaching in the opposite direction at the same time.

We must all be so very careful and never let the enjoment of riding make us drop our guard. Sorry to be a bit of a downer, but the incident was very upsetting.
fishsponge

Oh B----r

Post by fishsponge »

that is unfortunate... to say the least.

so far i've not ridden many miles in life (perhaps 300-400 in total) but i have managed to touch the foot-peg sticking out of the centre stand on the tarmac on a tight (5-10mph) left hander with a dip in the middle and with someone riding pillion. Not dangerous at that speed, but it is easily done!
><> fishsponge <><

Take a look at my 1966 Matchless G3! :-)
Brad

Oh B----r

Post by Brad »

Grag

Thats a very poingant and sad story you shared with us. and brought to mind another ocassion when riding an XBR500 Honda with my eldest son on the pillion. On a tightish and blind left hander I found the spilt diesel some idiot had left on the road. Some urgent footwork kept us upright but on the wrong side of the road. We were very lucky as the road was clear but it could so easily have been a different story.
Brad

Oh B----r

Post by Brad »

Greg
sorry about the previous spelling of your name
poplargreg

Oh B----r

Post by poplargreg »

That's fine - it makes a change from Craig and Geoff!
56G80S

Oh B----r

Post by 56G80S »

The spilt diesel story brings back particularly painful memories, although mainly for my wife.

She had rejected my entreaty to wear something other than a skirt and put some gloves on. My trials boots, good leather gloves and already somewhat battered ex-RAF (real one) flying jacket left me without a scratch. No consolation to her as I picked gravel out of her skin later.

Greg - my father in law and wife have just moved from Sutton St Nicholas (via a short stop at Bodenham) to Worcester! It was he who took me to and advised me on the purchase of the Matchless all those years ago. Add own cliche.

Johnny B