Running in query

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
trophy

Running in query

Post by trophy »

My friend is about to get his G12 CSR back after having new liners fitted, taking it back to standard. Knowing that he likes to give his bikes a bit of welly I mentioned that he should go easy for a couple of hundred miles or three but he reckons that in this day and age of modern materials this is not necessary. Any comments anyone
Ride safe all.
g80csp11

Running in query

Post by g80csp11 »

If it's not run in correctly , he will be rebuilding it very soon . Modern engines are built with different materials / tolerences and the bore finish are not the same as he has on his CSR . not to mention the oil that they run on .

If he has used JP pistons , I would recomend running in even more carefully !

most of the modern engines that he is thinking about are water cooled
Merlin

Running in query

Post by Merlin »

I would say that you are correct 500 steady miles will pay off the materials my be modern but the technology is old.
Chemists do it with test tubes
itma

Running in query

Post by itma »

On his own head be it......
these days with modern oils, lack of absolute understanding of old machines by some machinists, I would say longer.
Especially with the price of rebuilds these days, its reckless not to.
Its not mileage that counts, but the way its done; you need to use the gearbox, and not let the engine labour, nor hold at high revs for long; the old tip about snapping shut the throttle momentarily always works for me, the idea being that extra oil is drawn up around the piston skirts where its needed most.
Might be an old wifes tale, but it won't do any harm.
lawrence

Running in query

Post by lawrence »

A tip given to me by a rebuilder of vintage Rolls Royce engines is;

start with the VERY CHEAPEST correct grade oil you can find. Do one hundred miles of hill work (up and down) but do not let the engine labour. Power up the hills and shut the throttle going down. After the hundred miles change the oil for a slightly better one and go easy with the engine for a couple of thousand miles, i.e. just as ITMA says. Change the oil every five hundred miles. Then, you are done so just use the best oil you can afford from then on.
paul knapp

Running in query

Post by paul knapp »

Get your friend to fit a magnet to the sump drain plug, he will be surprised at the amount of metalic 'dust' that he will find adhering to it after a 100 miles or so. (even after using all these 'modern' materials!)
Who's to tell that one or both of the bores have not been honed to a thou under size? setting the scene for an imminent seizure.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

SPRIDDLER

Running in query

Post by SPRIDDLER »

This makes interesting reading concerning running in an engine:

[url="http://"]http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm[/url]

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
pto

Running in query

Post by pto »

Sound advice from itma and Lawrence.
trophy

Running in query

Post by trophy »

Thanks all for your comments. I will pass them on. It is great to belong to a club that will offer advice no-matter how trivial the subject. Thanks again folks.
Ride safe all.