Exhaust stuck

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Stan Palmer

Exhaust stuck

Post by Stan Palmer »

First, thanks for the replies on the Jampot rebuild for a 53 350. I made a tool to get them apart without damage. Both were well stuck, one is severely corroded inside. Roll on Kempton.
There are a lot of old forum responses on exhaust fitting problems, so since my silencer chrome is good and the exhaust solid (but needs rechroming) I thought I would use them. However they are so stuck together that even afer a week of dribbling creeping oil I can't part them. They are too fragile to apply great force. Any ideas ?
The silencer is embossed Burgess, do the pattern parts carry the Burgess name ?
vnlm

Exhaust stuck

Post by vnlm »

Simple one - if you can do it, put a load of crushed ice down the exhaust until you know its in vicinity of join. Then gently heat silencer join on the outside after a minute, easy and worth a try!! Heat alone might work !
DWMC
itma

Exhaust stuck

Post by itma »

At all costs keep hold of the Burgess silencer, the pattern ones don't carry the name, nor can they, its a trade name.
The Burgess is an old fashioned absorbtion silence which gives a lovely note.
A very difficult job to re chrome I think, due to the internals.
Diesel is a good penetrant, it may need a long soak
Groily

Exhaust stuck

Post by Groily »

Agree 100% re the Burgess. Although I have a selection of far shinier pattern silencers to choose from, I will keep the Burgess until it literally crumbles - which it shows no sign of doing by the way. It's made of good heavy stuff, makes a fantastic noise (and that on a siamesed twin) and it has the magic embossed word.
A new downpipe with the old still-shiny silencer might be the most economical and pleasing way to go? (Providing heat or ice or both get the things apart!)
Stan Palmer

Exhaust stuck

Post by Stan Palmer »

Thanks, heat did it. The silencer probably does need rechroming, but only if you lay on the ground and look underneath! I will use it as it is. Probably everybody already knew except me, but heat seems to be the key to a lot of disassembly problems.