Rotor

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Don Madden

Rotor

Post by Don Madden »

AMC changed the method of locating the alloy cases to ensure accuacy of the inner/outer alignment. Unlike the pressed steel type, the alloy spigot into the recess of the engine case, concentic with the crankshaft. The outer locates by the hollow dowel at the stud, (twin), or bolt, (single), in the center & a dowel pin at the rear.

If the cases & dowels are in good condition there should be no problem with their alignment. I have had no problem with rotors, but an oversize key might cause it to shift.

I have had problems with stators. One mentioned above & others not machined with inner diameter of pole pieces concentric with mounting holes. I have heard of some drilling the mounting holes a little larger & fitting the stator a little loose. Then wrapping a thin shim around the rotor & tapping the cover into place, allowing the stator to shift. Finally removing the cover & shim & tightening the stator mount nuts.

I don't know how this would work without skimming some off the outer diameter of the stator as it is a tight fit in the outer case.

Cheers, Don.
Charles

Rotor

Post by Charles »

The late lamented Malcolm Saggers did do a conversion where he attached hex bar to the inner chaincase, this being thick enough to have cut outs made for primary chain clearance. The outer ends were studded for the stator to fit onto and alignment wrt distance out from case done simply by washers. This allowed for perfect alignment along the crankshaft to get ideal overlap of rotor/stator and easy removal of outer chaincase for maintenance.

regards
Charles
itma

Rotor

Post by itma »

running clearance is 4- 6 thou