oil leak

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
REDWARDS

oil leak

Post by REDWARDS »

Morning Gents,

I have an oil leak (not unsual I hear you say) this one is coming from the bottom of the RH fork leg, not from the drain plug, but from one of the bolts that fix the bottom yoke to the fork, does this fixing break through into the inside of the fork, has anyone else had this problem.
g80csp11

oil leak

Post by g80csp11 »

The leak will be from the bolt recessed between the cap bolts , not from the cap studs
you need a thin walled socket to check that the bolt is tight , and if it is replace the fibre washer under the bolt head
Eric

oil leak

Post by Eric »

You say bolts but if I understand the location correctly it should have studs that normally remain insitu. The caps or bottom yokes you describe are then retained by the appropriate washers & nuts. I have no knowledge of the studs breaking through into the leg but even if they do they could be sealed. There is a bolt 010697 that holds the internal damper tube to the slider, the hole for this does open up inside the leg and could leak if it was loose, but most people have a problem removing them so it would be an exception if it was loose. It is not unknown for cracks to appear in this location and if you have bolts that are being taken out to remove the front wheel it could make things worse, check very carefully.
REDWARDS

oil leak

Post by REDWARDS »

Sorry I meant studs.

Yes, the leak is from bolt between the cap studs, Can I unscrew this to check the washer, without releasing anything internally in the fork.
REDWARDS

oil leak

Post by REDWARDS »

I have just tried to remove the bolt, but it just rotates, turning what ever it's attached to inside, presumably I will have to strip the fork down, which I was hoping I wouldn't have to do.
paul knapp

oil leak

Post by paul knapp »

You will have to 'shock' the bolt loose. Either use a rattle gun or give the socket tommy bar a few sharp smacks to loosen and undo the bolt. If you are only slowly turn the socket, it is turning the whole damper assembly within the bottom fork slider.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Biscuit
Deceased

oil leak

Post by Biscuit »

The bolt holds the damper tube in place. Remove the top nut on the fork leg and detach the damper rod. Find a piece of tube with a bore which will just accept the damper and press down on the top of the damper tube to attempt to stop it from turning. If this fails, and as a last resort (before stripping the whole lot down) wedge something between the damper tube and the inner bore of the fork leg.