AJS, Mod 20. Oil Problems.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Karaokebrian

Post by Karaokebrian »

Hi guys, To all those who have taken an interest in my case and have contributed ideas. Well the test so far have revealed that I loose about 1/5th pint every night from "Wet Sumping" Starting regulat every day means that it never gets to the stage where it drains through to the chaincase. Oil in chaincase is quite clean so I dont think it is coming through the crankcase seal when being ridden. Diverted rubber vent hose route away from chain onto road, with no effect to splattering of oil on the rear wheel. Thats my only problem left now. As the level of oil in the chaincase always drops and the outer surface of the inner chaincase around the area of the gearbox/clutch drive I have this gut feeling that could it be that my oil could be escaping here. I am now going to consult my spares list to see if I might have a oil seal in this area which is faulty. Comments would be appreciated but i expect you are all getting a bit fed up with my ongoing problem which has been going on for a long time. Thank you all. Intend to possibly face the inevitable next week and strip this area down. Many thanks. Brian PS also replying to my "Sloppy sprocket" Item as well.
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Hi Brian
I'm not fed up. Always good to hear the latest adventures of the Karaoke Kid.

You have made sure that you are not overfilling the oil tank? Most new users/returnees do put too much in. The tank needs room to breathe when the engine is running. If it doesn't have it, the oil runs out the overflow/breather pipe.

If you catch the oil from the breather pipe in a container as suggested (a small pop bottle is ideal) you can see how much is coming out and when.
paul knapp

Post by paul knapp »

quote: As the level of oil in the chaincase always drops
I still think your oil level in the primary case is too high to start with! You only need enough so as the very bottom of the LOWEST point of the chain JUST flicks the surface, not dragging through it.
Don't forget, that when the motor is driving under power, the top run of chain is very taut causing the bottom of the chain run to drop lower into the oil bath than it appears when you look at it with the engine stopped.

Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

There isn't an oil seal in this area, just dished deflector that (hopefully) guides the oil away from the hole.

Karaokebrian

Post by Karaokebrian »

OK guys, bedtime now, lets continue our little story, are you sitting comfortably, then I shall begin. Lawrence, I am now, after fitting another rubber vent pipe that my oil loss is not coming from this pipe as after a run there were no visible trace of any oil on the inside of the new pipe, but I will try the "bottle" method, I quite like that idea. TY. Paul. I like your idea as this area was suggested by a new found friend, Ray Brinkman (10miles away and owner and member of the Owners club( very clever I think. as he can recondition a gearbox) who I am going to visit on Monday with the view to stripping the Chaincase down to get to the bottom of it. His thought were that the chain should have the amount of play equivelent to the hight of the chain, which at the moment I dont think it has as when checking through the inspection hole the chain appears to be very tight, so of course mugging here dose as advised and fills the level up to the bottom of the chain, thus not taking your idea of the slack and tight chain into consideration. This of course would lead to the chain being dragged through the oil when being under load. Biscuit, Thank you and as Ray said last night there is no seal there and a few years ago he made up a little mod to cure the same problem for himself. OK Kids, off to bed, thats your lot for tonight. Sleep tight. Brian
Karaokebrian

Post by Karaokebrian »

Karaokebrian

Post by Karaokebrian »

Sorry Lawrence, that should read.....after fitting another rubber vent pipe I AM CONVINCED that.............
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Just a thought, the more slack the chain the less oil is required.

Thinks....there must be a flaw there somewhere