Brass shavings at oil change

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Just in from the shed after changing the oil on the 56 G80S (5 litres of SAE50 non detergent engine oil - £11).

Joy - the wire mesh "oil filter" shows that I've discovered the alchemists dream, I'm producing gold!

In fact it's rather a lot of plain bush shavings gleaming up at me. I did refurb the rocker box, 2-3,000 miles ago, but was bordering on obessive compulsive disorder in terms of cleanliness and fitting / reaming of bushes - I even had the help of an engineer, my neighbour at the time. The rocker box is defintely receiving its oil.

On the other hand, going through a box of new but not fitted parts from some time ago (for example the re-plated steering damper, new knob and friction plates etc. that I decided not to fit because the bike handles fine) I do have a timing side axle bush, the one with all the cutouts for the oil pump. Had I been suspicious of the condition of the one in the engine? Should I strip off the camwheel box and waggle things about? Or just carry on regardless? I can't hear any untowards sounds. The old and long established motorcycle chap who MOT'd it commented on how good it sounded.

And if there was something seriously wrong, chasing up and down to Durham at a steady 60 - 65 mph, 72 miles return trip 3 times last week surely would've precipitated something drastic?

If I had a decent digital camera I'd post a photo.

Can I take the prize for fuss budget of the year 2008 at such an early stage, before it's even half time?

Any observations welcome. Currently plan to just keep riding.

Johnny B

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

If it ain't bust leave it alone
Chemists do it with test tubes
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Hi John
I'd second Merlin but also check the filter occasionally as well.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Thanks for the views. Another 72 miles yesterday, and of course, the auto suggestion factor comes into play.

I've seen the bits of "brass" and now get auditory hallucinations...........

Or are they????

I'll keep chugging on.

I've got a "spare" bottom end - well crankcases and flywheel assembly - of unknown condition. It's been laying around uncovered for years. Think it's a 350 one I bought in the vain hope of some day building up an additional machine for off road (also have spare gearboxes, clutch, tank plus).

I'll be checking out all that material on the forum about 350 - 500 and tidying it up just in case something goes badly wrong.

Johnny B
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

The fit of the shaft in the bush is very important as the pump feeds the bush & from there to the big end. A lot of oil will bypass if the bush is a loose fit.

Have the flywheel assembly checked for wear & corrosion. The races tend to corrode when left in contact with the rollers for a long time.

Cheers, Don.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Cheers, Don. The MoT (do you have these Stateside) is due in the next month, which means I can get it done now and then look to investigate further if necessary.

Oil is certainly feeding back as usual into the tank.

The comment about the races and the rollers doesn't just apply to the "spare" bottom end. As you know, I'd had the G80 off the road for some years following the birth of first son. Could be an issue for the current (original) engine.

Trouble is, I'm not keen on spilitting the crankcases. The flat end plate is airtight (or pump wouldn't work properly) but there's a bodge on one of the small bolts that holds it in place. The hole has been re-tapped oversize and a non standard bolt fitted on a weak thread. It's a very tight area to work on and I'm not keen on reminding myself how poor it all is!

Johnny B
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Hi, Johnny. I am sure there are a lot of these running about in worse shape. When you do get around to a rebuild, repair everything correctly & you will likely have more troublefree miles.

While we have Federal oversight & mandentory regulations, much is left to the individual states. In California we have emmission inspections for cars & light trucks, but not for motorcycles, although the equipment must be installed on new bikes. We do not have safety inspections except for heavy trucks.

Cheers, Don.