Rear Wheel appears off centre

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Hi Ray, That seems to blow my theory out of the water. I can't comment on the four threads showing, as all the external spacers, nuts, lock nuts and snail cams were made by myself. Take care when assembling the bearings, as one item in the exploded views of the assembly is shown around the wrong way, I can't for the life of me think which item it is. Perhaps another posting on this topic may bring replies. When you replace the wheel FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY ensure you have a good engagement of the brake backplate extention with it's abutment on the swinging arm.

Ramon518

Post by Ramon518 »

quote:Originally posted by Gordon Williamson

Les this makes me think that :-
a) its probably due to wheel bearing wear - whne you adjust the outer race you are taking up wear in both ends and the fixed inner races will be moving to the brake plate end and taking up some of the gap (10 thou is not farr off touching!)

or b)
The paint on the spacers and brake plate is too thick - just joking!

Gordon

Ray Brinkman
Ramon518

Post by Ramon518 »

Well Gentlemen,

I eventually purchased from Andrews Engineering a cartridge containing new bearings at a little over £100 - when fitted as per the instructions given THE WHEEL IS NOW SLAP BANG ON THE CENTRE LINE OF THE BIKE.

So the amount of 10 - 12 mm of off centre'ness WAS down to wear on the bearings
Thankyou for your assistance everyone
Ray

Ray Brinkman
Ramon518

Post by Ramon518 »

One final comment - When I recently removed the rear loop frame I found that it was quite badly twisted - this twist led to the top fixings of the Jampots being off centre.
It was quite easy to rebend straight simply by using muscle and a mat to stop scratching the surfaces.
Now the Wheels are in line and the mudguard (bolted to the twisted, now straightened, loop frame) is also in line.
Thanks to all
Ray