siezed forks

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
hendrag

siezed forks

Post by hendrag »

i have a 1935 ajay with Webb forks, the problem with them is the two bolts in the steering head are siezed solid, i assume they are supposed to move just like the two in the forks themselves.

any ideas on how to free them up

ive added a picture its here look at the last one http://picasaweb.google.com/propernasty/Sprinter to highlight the problem (the forks have been lightened for sprint racing see the forum on that for more details)

regards

graham
itma

siezed forks

Post by itma »

bit tricky this
one side of the links are threaded, I cannot see from the pic which side this is.
you should, on standard set be able to remove one set of nuts and pull off the links; the n unscrew the spindle [not bolts!!] a bit at a time.
do this first to check that the spindles are not locked by threads, ie remove all nuts first and see what happens.
If you can do this the blades ought to come off with the spring and leave the yokes inthe frame.
remove the steering stem nuts, and the yokes will fall out,then you can get them under a press; a bit of heat may help as will a week soaking in diesel, I'd try the soaking first, dont be heavy handed these bits are hard to find
Biscuit
Deceased

siezed forks

Post by Biscuit »

It has been a very long time since I was involved with girders, isn't there left hand threads involved somewhere?

itma

siezed forks

Post by itma »

not on AMC forks