ajs 31csr owners manual (instruction) 1961

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
keithb

Post by keithb »

Having owned my 31csr 1961 for the last 25years .Being the second owner from new, i purchased this from my uncle who bought it new from Bob Sergant in lverpool all those years ago.After alot of maintenance the usual broke the crank in half etc it still has only 31'000 miles and is in prestine condition.Anyway my uncle passed away 2 weeks ago and after having to clear out his home i came across the instruction manual (owners)that was supplied on the day of purchase .It is a 100page manual with detailed descriptions on all repairs needed any very well explained.You can imagine my joy at this find.I have spent 8 hours scanning the manual and laminating the copy as i know it will come in very usefull and dont want to destroy the original with wear and tear.
One aj owner .Also came across 100's of old motorcycle magazines dated back from 1959 right through to the late 80's guess im gonna have alot of late nights reading :-)
Anyone intrested in getting a copy of this manual get in touch.
Cheers K
laxy

Post by laxy »

Hi KEITH, Interested to note the 1961 650 suffered a crank failure.
I thought by 61 the twins were fitted with nodular crankshafts although I can find no evidence of this in various publications.
Could someone enlighten us? When did the factory start fitting noddy cranks to the twins and how do you tell a noddy from the the standard mehanite crankshaft?Ive heard the stories of yellow paint and the letter N (for nodular?)stamped on the crankshaft but is it possible to have a nodular crank without these markings?
I do have avalid reason for this enquiry but Id rather not dwell on it.Suffice to say, that earthquake the other morning brought the memories flooding back.
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Nodular cranks introduced 1962, possibly marked 'SG' (for spheroidal graphite) All this from 'Tech Topics'

Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Easy to tell the difference. Hold the crank in the air, not touching anything & tap it with a hammer. The mehanite goes "tonk" & the nodular 'tink'. Easy to tell with the two together but if you have only the one, the nodular will ring like a bronze bell for a few seconds but the mehanite does not ring.

Cheers, Don.
thomthom

Post by thomthom »

Engine Nr. 60 /GL LX2727 registered 1960
Engine not appart yet to be able to "ring" the crank but I can see through the crankcase throat that on the outer diameter of the nearside web is stamped 650 and on the other (timing side) is a crude "N".

I was hoping that it was "N" for Noddy
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

I have transcribed several articles on crank identification, not all are available yet. None seem very definite. One method involves filing the crank and sniffing the filed portion, ordinary iron has no significant smell, but nodular iron smells of ozone. If it smells of roses - see your GP.

keithb

Post by keithb »

quite right i did replace with the nodular crank.The older crank did not like high revs my fault first one broke,I remember the day well .Came down the Coleraine mountain after the North West 200 into a lovely right hand sweeper.Footrests scrapng the ground a bit more rev and then it all went bang.Was at 110-115 mph anyone that knows the Coleraine mountain will know on a bike it is a dream to come down.
That was 20years ago .Been running like a dream since and learnt a lesson that day.
keithb

Post by keithb »

chris kelly

Post by chris kelly »

Hi,

"..and sniffing the filed portion, "

My cat was good at smells, but for a learned dissertation start with........www.chemie.de/news/e/58823

all about "the smell of Iron.". this and that ,but iron / or iron solution, with a two fold positive charge ..... a smell.... but in contrast that with a triple negative charge did not cause an odour.... However, as far as I can tell, it is an illusion. It is all to do with skin contact.

" The two odours of Iron when touched or pickled (skin) research by D. Glindemann et al.

Best wishes, Chris.
'My cat can beat up your cat!'
keithb

Post by keithb »

Theres always one in every bar and guess this one is sweedish :-)