Plating

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Lance

Plating

Post by Lance »

Hello All,

I was wondering how certain items on my bike are supposed to be finished. This is for a '48 G80. Were these items originally cad or other?:

fuel pipes - using originals
oil pipes - using originals
dynamo mounting / adjusting pieces - using originals
valve lifter lever - on crankcase - using originals
brake clevis bits - need replacement

Other than the obvious nuts, bolts, washers, screws, are there any other items that I've left out that were supposed to be cad?

Thanks,
Lance
itma

Plating

Post by itma »

fuel pipe cad; have a look at the post re WD taps for a picture of one.
oil pipes, dull or stain chrome I think , other wise cadmium
dynamo band, black enamel; all the other bits cad.
all small brake parts cad. Rod, black paint
I will shortly send you a pic of a '48 G80 I restored some years back. The only bike I ever got 100 points for in a concours show [ mostly I got 98, he said with smug pride]
All other nuts bolts washers studs, cadmium.
except, fork top nuts, fork stem nuts,
I do not know how much difference there was on an export bike so soon after 1945.
wheel spokes cad plate as well.
Lance

Plating

Post by Lance »

Wow, thanks Ken! Very much appreciated. I acquired the bike nearly complete but had been sitting since the '60's (not well protected). Although certain steel bits were rusted beyond repair, an amazing amount was preserved under the grease and oil. I'm trying to be as original as possible (my OCD). For instance, I found a NOS MT211, but the chrome ring could do with a rechroming. Any way of getting that ring off?

I'd love to see the pics of your '48.

For this export model, it had the chrome tank which I've already had done. For the spokes, I'm having unpolished stainless ones bead blasted for the appearance of cad plate. I was told this would work just fine.

I have the original taps but they appear to be quite worn. There are cracks in the sides of the body where the slide enters on each side. And a little bowing out in that area too. Plus quite a bit of plier markings/gouges on them as well. I've seen many reproductions out there but not sure who's got the best quality or proper finish (or least likely to leak).

Thanks again,
Lance