18S Wrong Footpegs?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
LoneStar

18S Wrong Footpegs?

Post by LoneStar »

Hello all,

I'm closing in on completing my '54 18S rebuild, but a last-minute snag has appeared. The right footpeg occupies the space which the exhaust pipe needs - it extends out horizontally about 1.5" too far:

http://www.vincent-hrd.co.uk/images/18S_peg.jpg

This presents a problem, as a happy riding experience is difficult without either a footpeg or an exhaust pipe.

I didn't notice this when I acquired the bike because the P.O. (may demons gnaw his vitals...) made things fit by installing the peg on the inside of the frame tube, moving the spacer outboard:

http://www.vincent-hrd.co.uk/images/bodge.jpg

This leaves room for the exhaust, but not for the oil pipes into the engine (also thought to be important to smooth running). They were conveniently missing when I bought the bike.

I've concluded by process of elimination that I must have the wrong footpegs - can anyone confirm? Perhaps they're from a scrambler model or a twin?

If so, does anyone have for sale, or know of a source for, the correct pegs? I'm trying to get the bike on the road and fettled before October, so I can take it on the British Singles Ride to Big Bend National Park in Texas - so there's not much spare time. I may try cutting out a horizontal section from these and rewelding back together, but the right pegs would be better.

Thanks,

Dave

Lassenc

18S Wrong Footpegs?

Post by Lassenc »

That looks to me like some competition ones.

I can see there is space for the exhaust pipe inside the peg.

But on the other hand it looks like the peg is way off from the gearpedal
Biscuit
Deceased

18S Wrong Footpegs?

Post by Biscuit »

I agree with Lasse, definitely competition footrests. The correct type will fit where you have the shiny spacer under the right hand nut.

If you were in the UK I would suggest a bike jumble, having said that JSL do them, part No. 018601 £32.61 each

Merlin

18S Wrong Footpegs?

Post by Merlin »

Don't you ever go out Alan?
Chemists do it with test tubes
Biscuit
Deceased

18S Wrong Footpegs?

Post by Biscuit »

Went to the Jampot, took the wife to Emmetts garden on Wednesday, tested the Honda after peering at the clutch and balancing the carbs.
Spent all today in the workshop, looking in here every hour or so.

Any more information, please don't hesitate

Merlin

18S Wrong Footpegs?

Post by Merlin »

You didn't mention lunch
Chemists do it with test tubes
Lassenc

18S Wrong Footpegs?

Post by Lassenc »

I would be happy to trade mine by the way!
moley

18S Wrong Footpegs?

Post by moley »

is it me or dosent this footrest look like the primary side one that fits between the bottom rails and the engine plate.. competition footrest have two lugs that sit over the frame rails ?? A
Biscuit
Deceased

18S Wrong Footpegs?

Post by Biscuit »

Primary side footrest? On standard road machines both footrests are the same, hence one part number.

LoneStar

18S Wrong Footpegs?

Post by LoneStar »

Thanks for the information, everyone! I've managed to locate a set of pegs claimed to be for the touring models, so with a bit of luck the bike will be good to go in a few days.

Meanwhile, tonight was the first startup of the rebuilt engine. It nearly killed me to get it started, since I didn't know the drill yet and it's about 100 degrees F here in Texas - but it finally started, and seems to run fine. Nice steady tickover. I think I flooded it initially by tickling and using the choke, per the instruction manual - probably that advice is targeted for the UK climate. Oil showed up back at the tank in only a minute or so, no doubt helped by the thousand or so kicks I'd given it before it actually ran.

Yesterday's attempt had failed because I'd timed the ignition on what the manual said was full advance: cable relaxed. It turns out that on my magneto, full advance is with the cable pulled in - so I'd timed it at full retard, which did not work well. I discovered this looking at earlier threads via search, proving again that this forum is a great resource.

Cheers,

Dave