"The Red Book"

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
turbo-smooth-hr210

"The Red Book"

Post by turbo-smooth-hr210 »

Hi, Excuse my ignorance, but could someone explain to me what "The Red Book" is? Which is often refered to in the forums and where to get it? Thanks in advance, Bradley
Janet

"The Red Book"

Post by Janet »

quote:
Hi, Excuse my ignorance, but could someone explain to me what "The Red Book" is? Which is often refered to in the forums and where to get it? Thanks in advance, Bradley
I'm only guessing here buy I think it's the workshop manual sold by the club spares scheme. I know it's a book and it's red.
Don Madden

"The Red Book"

Post by Don Madden »

Fred Neil, the Service Manager for the factory wrote a series of manuals from at least the early 30's. The were published by a private concern, not the factory. All the ones I have are for Matchless & the covers are red, hence called the Red Book.

JSL lists a Workshop Manual 1946-1956 which appears to be a compilation of the Neil books of that era. The flyleaf does not identify the author nor the publisher. Appropriately, the cover is red.

JSA also lists a Workshop Manual 1957-64 which has a completly different style from the Neil books & appears to be a factory publication. The cover is white, & the book seems identical to an original I have had for decades, long before JSL.

Cheers, Don.
rex.webb

"The Red Book"

Post by rex.webb »

O DEAR DON YOUR "JSA" and "JSL" Got me going ??
Was JSA , AJS in another language ?
if so was "JSL" a misspeling ?
Sorry i have only just got up. RED Book of CHAIRMAN MOW ? Is this the new "AJS " Hand book ? RIDE WITH CARE and LIVE LONG.
Listern for a DIESEL at the JAMPOT . Must bring it over the POND some time !
r w webb
Don Madden

"The Red Book"

Post by Don Madden »

Sorry, Rex. I was typing this while balancing my laptop on the handlebars while carving through a local canyon on my B*A B44, which has been accused of simulating a 7.9 earthquake, at least from the saddle.

Also had forgotten to put my reading glasses on to be able to see my dislexic fingers.

All due to age, no doubt, the laptop & thumper/shaker, not me!

P.S. Sometimes I deliberately insert mistakes to see if anyone actually reads this drivel!

Cheers, Don.Edited by - Don Madden on 02 Aug 2007 8:35:49 PM