P/N for front brake cable lock

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Lassenc

Post by Lassenc »

Hi!

I need the little "locking device" that makes the cable stay in position at the brake arm end.

Checked the sparecatalogue, but I couldn't decide on which one it was.

It's a 1956!
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

We have the yoke or clevis, which accepts the cable, plus the clevis pin, which goes through the yoke and the brake arm, and finally the split pin which goes through a cross hole in the end of the clevis pin.

Note. 'yoke', 'pin for yoke end' and 'split pin' are terms used in the original spares list. 'Clevis' 'clevis pin' are terms used in the JSL list.

So which piece do you want?

Lassenc

Post by Lassenc »

Uhm, I have never had the original setup on my bike. I only have the cable and nothing else down there.

So I am a bit uncertain of what I need.

What is a clevis pin? I am not familiar with those words I am afraid.

I have also uploaded a picture of what my cable goes through, in case that is not standard either.

[img]http://stalkerzone.dk/upload/bremsearm.bmp[/img]

Hope I made it clear enough for you to understand.

Regards, Lasse
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

That which you show appears to be the clevis and it's pin. does the clevis, ie the larger piece in your picture, have a slot going into a hole for the cable? A photo would have made it more clear.

And does the pin have a cross hole at the end?.Edited by - Biscuit on 23 Jul 2007 6:18:16 PM

56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Never one to worry about the risk of creating confusion, look at the rear brake arrangement, which has some similar parts, although different in size and application.

In the parts list for the 56G80S, under REAR BRAKE OPERATING PARTS those numbered 000735 - yoke (clevis); 000736 - pin and 000014 pin, split will give you an idea of what you need for the front brake, The difference is, as Biscuit says, that the yoke (or clevis) at the front is operated by cable hence instead of a threaded section for a rod to screw in. If you imagine a cable taking the place of the rod, with slot along the yoke (clevis) and hole so the cable can pass through then the nipple (rose) pulls up into a countersunk recess. The 2 arms of the yoke go either side of the hole in the 022260 lever for front brake shoe expander. The yoke (clevis) pin goes through yoke and lever and the split pin through the hole in the yoke (clevis) pin to hold it there (I always use a new split pin) by folding back the legs in opposite directions.

Probably made the whole thing more difficult but my digital camera is useless at this detail.

Johnny B
Lassenc

Post by Lassenc »

quote:
That which you show appears to be the clevis and it's pin. does the clevis, ie the larger piece in your picture, have a slot going into a hole for the cable? A photo would have made it more clear.

And does the pin have a cross hole at the end?.Edited by - Biscuit on 23 Jul 2007 6:18:16 PM

It only has one hole, the clevis.
Lassenc

Post by Lassenc »

quote:
Never one to worry about the risk of creating confusion, look at the rear brake arrangement, which has some similar parts, although different in size and application.

In the parts list for the 56G80S, under REAR BRAKE OPERATING PARTS those numbered 000735 - yoke (clevis); 000736 - pin and 000014 pin, split will give you an idea of what you need for the front brake, The difference is, as Biscuit says, that the yoke (or clevis) at the front is operated by cable hence instead of a threaded section for a rod to screw in. If you imagine a cable taking the place of the rod, with slot along the yoke (clevis) and hole so the cable can pass through then the nipple (rose) pulls up into a countersunk recess. The 2 arms of the yoke go either side of the hole in the 022260 lever for front brake shoe expander. The yoke (clevis) pin goes through yoke and lever and the split pin through the hole in the yoke (clevis) pin to hold it there (I always use a new split pin) by folding back the legs in opposite directions.

Probably made the whole thing more difficult but my digital camera is useless at this detail.

Johnny B

Don't have the original setup for the rear either, unfortunately. So I don't understand much.
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

I use an 'S' clip in these areas, much more convenient. Send me your E-Mail address via PM Lasse, and I'll send you a pic. With the 'S' clip it will come apart no problem, so you will see it in place and the component parts. I can also send pics of the rear arrangement. There is no charge for this service.(Joke)