How do I fit front brake anchor stay

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
bobber

Post by bobber »

Could someone please tell me how to correctly fit the front brake anchor stay to the fork slider on a 1953 G80S; should it be fitted between the slider and the front mudguard bridge or does the mudguard bridge fit between the slider and the anchor stay? Also I assume that the threaded portion of the stay (for the brake cable adjuster) faces forwards - is this correct?
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

I prefer the brake stay to be fitted between the mudguard stay and the fork slider, all to do with the applied shear stress on the studs being as close as possible to the point of fixing. Note you must have studs on this side, not bolts.

Whether the adjuster portion of the stay points to the front or rear needs to be answered by somene who has one of these bikes. The parts list shows it bent such that it points to the rear, while the Owners Manual shows it pointing to the front. In the former case they may not have altered the drawing from previous years. I feel it should point to the front.

bobber

Post by bobber »

Thanks for the advice. I note your comment about the studs and have to admit that I was going to use bolts - why is it necessary to use studs?
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Considering the stress on this item, you need to engage with the whole depth of thread. Judging the length of bolt which has to pass through two items, one of which is the mudguard stay, which can be 'squeezable' is difficult, which usually means the bolt is too short. I recently worked on a bike which had bolts in this location and they were hanging on by three threads at the most. There is also the consideration of the wear and tear on the threads by removing and replacing bolts.

Now, you may disagree with the above, BUT YOUR NECK IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY DISAGREEMENT. Sorry about the shouting.

bobber

Post by bobber »

Thanks again - I'll fit some studs.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

If you do a Help search, you'll see that I raised a similar point earlier this year. I replaced the studs on my 56 G80S. At the risk of talking down to someone who probably knows more than I, you can use the two nuts locked together (put them on and turn one "on" and the other "off") so that you can remove and fit the new studs.

Also be careful not to be too enthusiastic when fitting, check the thread is clear in the slider and measure so that the unthreaded part of the stud doesn't foul onto the slider threads before it hits bottom. That's a further objection to using bolts - breaking through the slider wall because one doesn't know when bottom has been reached.

Sure others will hold their hands up in horror, but I used studlock.

The anchor stay fits with the adjuster part forward, so that it is in tension when the brake's applied. If fitted to the rear of the slider it would be under compression? Check with one that's working for your year.

Johnny BEdited by - 56G80S on 02 Jul 2007 11:00:30 PM
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

I believe he was referring to the portion that accepts the adjuster facing to the rear, I had assumed that that it was obvious that the stay had to be in tension.

If not obvious read 56G80s' advice and take note.