Clutch and kick-starter

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
AJSFinland

Clutch and kick-starter

Post by AJSFinland »

Hello again wizards,

I have this problem: My kick starter fails to operate. BUT when I pressure the clutch slightly the kick jams. Then when pushing it hard, it starts to turn the clutch? But never works enough to kick the engine running.

Where should I begin the fixing process? I have tried to adjust the clutch, but it seems that no position is right? The clutch and kick-starter worked properly before the front chain broke. Front chain broke down on the speed of 10 mph.

Cheers

Jussi
Wruuummm...
SPRIDDLER

Clutch and kick-starter

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:

I have tried to adjust the clutch, but it seems that no position is right? The clutch and kick-starter worked properly before the front chain broke. Front chain broke down on the speed of 10 mph.

Hi Jussi
I assumeyou did not dismantle the clutch to fit the new primary "front" chain.
There is lots about clutch adjustment if you use the 'search' facility on this site but here's a quick lesson just to get you started on adjusting the clutch which 'Biscuit' put on this Forum on 10th June:
Quote:
"Just as a refresher.
There are two adjustments, the cable adjuster at the gear box end, and one in the clutch spring pressure plate. To adjust, slacken cable adjuster at gearbox end as far as possible, ensuring that the cam plate, ( the bit you push back) is pushed back. Nip round to the near side of the bike, the clutch dome cover may have a small inspection plate in the centre, the whole dome may be removeable, or worse case scenario the whole outer chaincase may need to be removed. On your model, the small inspection plate should be removeable, but who knows what may have happened over the years?. Having done whatever to gain access to the pressure plate, slacken off the centre locknut and screw the centre thrust cup in until it lightly contacts the push rod, undo half a turn and lock with the nut, ensuring the thrust cup does not turn. Nipping back to the offside adjust the cable to give 1/8" to 3/16" play at the lever. Unless the ball ramps are badly worn, this should do the trick.
Important, the cable adjuster is just that, to adjust free play at the lever, it is NOT to adjust the clutch." End quote.

It could be that the first tooth on the K/start quadrant is worn but
until you have the clutch adjustment right it will be difficult to diagnose any remaining problem......
Good luck!
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
AJSFinland

Clutch and kick-starter

Post by AJSFinland »

Cheers,

I shall do as it says. We shortened the cable a bit, but I hope we didn´t do too much damage.

Cheers

Jussi
Wruuummm...
SPRIDDLER

Clutch and kick-starter

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Further thoughts whilst riding along the coast in the sun today......
Did you fix the old chain or fit a new one?
It's possible that the clutch and k/start are O.K. but that the chain is jamming somewhere preventing the k/start from turning the engine over because you say that when you "pressure the clutch lever (I assume you mean to disengage the clutch) and push the k/start hard the clutch turns but not the engine". This would be the case if the chain was jamming.
Silly questions, but is the chain the right pitch and width?
Is the split link (joining link) the correct pitch / width?
Could the chain be snagging on the dynamo chain?
Have you left a screwdriver / spanner inside the primary chaincase?
I'd be inclined to take the outer primary case off and observe what's happening when you try to operate the k/start.
I doubt that the breaking chain has damaged the clutch or k/start.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
AJSFinland

Clutch and kick-starter

Post by AJSFinland »

Problem solved

The nub on kick starter axel was loose. I tightened that and everything rocks. Except one questions: When I put the gear box cover back, which way I should turn the kick axel, so it would be in right position??? I tried hard, but I never got the string right

Cheers

Jussi
Wruuummm...
AJSFinland

Clutch and kick-starter

Post by AJSFinland »

And the clutch works perfectly, when I used your advices, SPRIDDLER. Cheers!!

Jussi
Wruuummm...