G 80 clutch "position"

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Don Madden

G 80 clutch "position"

Post by Don Madden »

The ball at the lever end of the clutch rod of an AMC 'box is very big & unlikely to be gone or worn.

When you get the cover off follow the good advice given. If still a problem, let us know.

Merry Christmas! Don.
crawsue

G 80 clutch "position"

Post by crawsue »

Merry Christmas to all my readers!! Thanks for all the advice re. the clutch.Hangover permitting I will address it on Boxing Day,in the meantime back to Terry Wogan.
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
crawsue

G 80 clutch "position"

Post by crawsue »

Well thats shaken off the hangover,and Terry's back from his holiday!Got my new sprocket in this morning(excellent next day service from Louise/ Jim-ta!)Alloy chaincase off,reveals well homemade chaincase gasket keeping all the oil in,20 toth sprocket in excellent order (now redundant--any reasonable offer etc. etc! ).Clutch is in good repair ,all adjustments appear to be correct--although I havn't examined cable play at gear-box end,actuation is light and sweet running so would appear to be set up properly at the gearbox lever end.The clutch has 4 plates which appears from "the book" to be correct for the year (although it appears that 5 plate clutches were introduced later)I have screwed the three clutch springs in tighter,no discernable difference to "clutch feel" and still running pretty "square",but kicking her over the handlebar lever is almost completely "out"before the clutch fully "grips".If I gave the push rod MORE CLEARANCE what would be the result? It should move the lever position in my limited experience,but will it make gear selection more dificult? If this is not the direction to go,any advice would be appreciated.One last point,there are two push rods quoted in the parts list ,does anyone know why,and how can you tell which one is correct for the particular G/box-clutch ? Thanks in anticipation,Crawford.
SPRIDDLER

G 80 clutch "position"

Post by SPRIDDLER »

If you give the pushrod more clearance (free play/endfloat) you'll have less movement of the pushrod when the lever is squeezed, and therefore less spreading (freeing off) of the clutch plates, and probably therefore some difficulty with gearchanges/selection.
The more slack in the cable and end float there is at the pushrod, the less the pushrod will move when the handlebar lever is squeezed, and therefore the less 'lift' or spreading of the clutch plates will take place. Increasing the slack in the cable or pushrod 'endfloat' will result in the clutch biting sooner when the handle bar lever is released but disengaging later when squeezed (i.e when the lever is pulled nearer the handle bar).
I'm not sure but I think the longer pushrod is required for the extra plated/comp clutch assembly.
It's not rocket science - I've been using a gash piece of silver steel of approximate length and selected balls to adjust the length for perfect clutchiness. Been there more than 5000 miles this year. Clutch adjusted once (camping in the Pyrenees) this summer and gears change sweet as a maiden's snore.
(Just taking the floor on this forum now that Nurse has put the regular old boys to bed).
No doubt there'll be contradictions..........!!
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
crawsue

G 80 clutch "position"

Post by crawsue »

Thanks for that,I will give anything a go (within reason!),also explains the move to a five plate clutch.Is it usual for the AMC 'box to be a wee bit reluctant to go into first (as I have been advised elsewhere)but easy and smooth elsewhere in the range (up & down)
SPRIDDLER

G 80 clutch "position"

Post by SPRIDDLER »

(Cor, it's taken a whole cup of hot tea to get here........how slow?)
Err, well I've no experience of AMC g'boxes, only Burman, but reluctance to go into first could be due to the clutch dragging a tad. Have you tried moving the bike backwards or forwards (2 or 3") to help first gear engage?
Do you free the clutch first before starting the engine? I.e. hold clutch lever in and operate k'start once or twice? The k'start should just move freely without turning the engine (in neutral!) - I guess you do, sorry. I don't mean to teach a chaincase how to drip!
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Don Madden

G 80 clutch "position"

Post by Don Madden »

All my AMC boxes work easily with two fingers, (one if I pull hard), and go into low silently & into nuetral easily, hot or cold.
I think Spriddler is right about the clutch.
Cheers, Don.