Speedo - axle - have i messed up ?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
DerekAJS30

Speedo - axle - have i messed up ?

Post by DerekAJS30 »

I'm building up a 1952 G3L from bits. I wanted to use original half width hubs so I now have these. The rear axle does not look correct, there are no "Snail cams" and the spacers etc just doesn't look like the parts catalogue, so i'm looking for correct parts. While doing this however i realised there is no speedo drive on the axle according the the parts catalogue. In fact, I can't find any reference to a speedy drive or see a drive component within the gearbox in the parts catalogue. so now im flummoxed !!. I think i have created a new problem, or do I?

So my questions are:
1. Should the axle have a speedy drive component, or can the axle and fittings be modified to take a Speedo Drive?
2. Must i use a correctly appointed Gearbox? I have two Burman gearboxes, one 52 suffix. A second 54 suffix - this latter one has an additional plug, maybe 1 1/2" across on the back/top side. Is this where a speedy drive might go? If so can I easily modify the gearbox to take the drive from there? What parts do I need. I will need to rebuild one of the gearboxes anyway.

As always these projects get "complicated" but it's fun trying to "do the right thing" - All help and suggestions welcomed.

Derek
dave16mct

Re: Speedo - axle - have i messed up ?

Post by dave16mct »

Is your bike rigid (G3L) or springer (G3LS)? The rigid G3l doesn't have snail cams. The speedo drive is from the rear wheel. From memory the speedo gearbox fit on 2 slots on the right side of the hub. A spacer fits inside it and retains it with a nut. I'm afraid you're going to have to spend a lot of time trawling through the 1952 parts list!
Dave.
DerekAJS30

Post by DerekAJS30 »

Hi, it's a sprung frame, G3Ls
DerekAJS30

Post by DerekAJS30 »

I think you're right, there seem to be different versions at this date.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Have you seen the illustration on page 65 of the '52 Owners Manual which also shows the speedo drive in place ?

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... ingles.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
DerekAJS30

Post by DerekAJS30 »

HI "Spriddler". Thanks for this link. I dont know why i didnt have this document, looks like i messed up with my searches. Very useful, thank you for your help as always.
Best, derek