Magneto repair or exchange?

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
RSC13

Magneto repair or exchange?

Post by RSC13 »

I've just completed a rebuild of a 1961 M31 CSR, and tried to start it today without success. I have a weak and intermittent spark from the magneto, which seemed OK in October before I started the rebuild.
I called Paul at APL today, and he advised he can't take on any more work for a few months at least. He gave me Tony Cooper's phone number, but I haven't been able to reach him yet.
I'm guessing he will also have a long lead time for repairs.
I'm thinking about going for an exchange unit from the club spares. Does anyone know who rebuilds them for the club, and have a view on the quality of work?
I'm not sure if they have a unit to suit my bike, current mag has manual advance/retard, and the Bakelite end cap with a kill button on the handlebars. The club list one with the stop button cap, or K2F Magneto,remote kill button used with auto advance/retard. 750cc G15/Model 33.
Also, could someone tell me what the current rate for a full refurb of my existing mag is likely to be as a comparison?
(I've just found Rutland Dynamos and Magnetos who quote about £350, so exchange price seems reasonable if a unit is available).
Thanks, Neville
Reynard24

Re: Magneto repair or exchange?

Post by Reynard24 »

Tony Cooper was suggesting a turnround time of about a fortnight when I spoke to him earlier in the week.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Magneto rebuild at £350- £360 sounds typical , for example https://www.vehicle-electrical-rewinds. ... pairs.html
Exchange means , you have it by return , depends how quickly you want to be up and running again
RSC13

Post by RSC13 »

I've contacted Tony Cooper, will be taking the mag to him on Monday, estimate 2-3 weeks turnaround and £200.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Tony Cooper did a mag and dynamo for me, all good.

Johnny B
RSC13

Post by RSC13 »

Mag was ready in exactly a week. Looked like new, many parts replaced. Bike now starts easily and runs well. Total cost £215. And the real bonus is Tony and Michelle are such lovely people to deal with.