newbie clutch assembly question

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
JM

newbie clutch assembly question

Post by JM »

I've just recently bought a 1954 AJS 500 Model 18 and it started leaking oil on my first ride down the driveway, very hot clutch box and clutch slipping. A local bike mechanic looked at it and thought (1) the seal on the clutch assembly box (not sure of the right term) was a bit perished so he's planning on using silicone to ensure it's properly sealed and (2) told me the clutch itself was buggered. I've been online looking for those fibre bits which go in between the clutch plates but being mechanically challenged I've got myself confused. Can someone point me in the right direction?

We refilled the clutch box with some more oil (50), and quite a bit of this has already leaked out, so I think that's a definite issue (sealing)
SPRIDDLER

Re: newbie clutch assembly question

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the Forums.

There are a couple of members in NZ who may be able to help with local suppliers, however............

Your bike will have a Burman B52 gearbox and clutch. New parts are available from the the club's spares shop here:

https://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comers ... oducts.asp

An improved rubber seal is also available from club spares for the chaincase (which I think is what you referred to as 'clutch assembly box').

Before going into great detail about working on the clutch etc. it'll be best if you familiarise yourself with the club spares website and have a look at the link below where under 'Books' you will find all the factory manuals that you'll need. (The 1954 AJS Model 18 and the 1954 Matchless G80S are identical except for cosmetic/colour scheme differences).

http://archives.jampot.dk/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
JM

Re: newbie clutch assembly question

Post by JM »

Thanks v much :)