Another tank question

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
shaunstaples

Another tank question

Post by shaunstaples »

My model 20 tank has a leak at the rear cutaway section. I’ve found a g80 one that’s useable but the mounts are different dimensions to mine and the bottom is relieved much more than mine and following recent thread guessing it’s for single valve gear. Mine is much more plain underneath but does look like the mounts have been repaired before and are ready again really.
Also my taps seem further back and the others on offer are offset with one looking like it will be close to rear rocker cover of my twin.
From the pictures of the Indian ones they all look relieved for a single, even though they are advertised g9 / m20?
And even from the underside pictures the mounting holes look inconsistent, with some appearing to be closer to the edge than the others.
Is there any do’s and dont’s as to what to start looking for?
I’ll post a picture of the underside of my leaky tank, at first I thought it had a petro patch repair but it’s fooled me by the thickness of the paint!
Also it’s also always sounded like it’s got one of them fuel catalysts bag thingys but it turned out to be a big marble effect lump of resin!
Any help where to start with it would be great thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yves.Astein

Re: Another tank question

Post by Yves.Astein »

I am not an expert, but I would consider fixing the Tank. If you have the equipment. Either welding it or soldering if its just a hairline crack. Just ensure all fumes are gone befor you get started.

Yves
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Thanks Yves I’m going to have a go at soldering my original if the leak is in a place that can be repaired easily.

It’s just a bit of help with what model tank will fit what bike, the ones that have the relieved cut outs should be usable if the mounting hole centres are right and the taps clear the rocker covers.
Trefor

Post by Trefor »

Fibre glass resin or body filler will repair petrol tanks, my repairs have lasted for years and still counting. Tank sealant will also fill small cracks.
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Thanks Trefor, not really thought of sealer, suppose I could get some after having a go at soldering. The big lump of resin I got out must have left a big gap that needs sealing