Matchless G9 Frame

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
matchlessG9

Matchless G9 Frame

Post by matchlessG9 »

Good morning. Can somebody please answer two questions for me please.
1) What is the part number for a 1953 G9 frame front end? Courtesy of the NMM I have the spares list. This states that it is 018703. However the accompanying drawing appears to be more generic as it does not show the cast hole in the downframe. I suspect the entire drawn panel on the parts list was intended to cover a range of models including singles.

2) I have a frame off a 16 MS (se my previous post). If I get the front end for my G9 ie 018703 should the rear end frame components be compatible?

The reason for my question is that there is a front end for sale on ebay that purports to possibly be off a 500 twin. The number on the frame. (Not the bike serial number but the part number) appears to be 015674. It looks the same but then looks can be deceiving.

Any thoughts or ideas would be most welcome.

Paul
SPRIDDLER

Re: Matchless G9 Frame

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I'm not familiar with many frames but did you speak with Steven Surbey as suggested in my reply to your earlier thread? I'd be surprised if he can't help or at least advise what will fit.

viewtopic.php?p=252395#p252395
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

The simple answer is to get the correct Frame number and do an online check. I can tell you that no 1953 AMC VIN frame numbers start with a 0
Roy
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

The front frame will have a lug at the front for the head steady and a fabricated hole at the rear.

BUT their is no difference between a model 20 frame and a G9 frame so if you want a matchless frame, the only way to find out is as Roy has said is do an online check and this will give you the exact date of the frame. And is relatively cheap
Trefor

Post by Trefor »

I have a 1953 G9 and there is a number cast into the head steady bracket - 021135 which is part of the frame. Perhaps all G9 frames of that era share the same number?
clive

Post by clive »

You are aware that if you get a different frame you will legally have a different bike? You cannot just have the frame number changed on the V5 as the frame is what defines the bike. You will have to go through the whole procedure of registering the machine again. It's possible and the section in the website describes the process. You will get a non transferable age related number not retain your current one. If you do not bother to re register you will have a bike with the wrong frame number compared to the v5 and it will be worth less than the current machine.
Oh and the illustrations in the parts list were often not correct. What seemed to happen was that if there was a changed part number that would be included on the page of the relevant years's parts list but the illustration may not have changed until the next year's parts list came out.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
matchlessG9

Post by matchlessG9 »

Morning all. My quest to secure a G9 frame continues but the story is proving complicated. I have found two front ends at dealers. A check with the machine dating service tells me it's from a 1952 AJS M20. The second frame has yet to be run through the service but my research tells me that it's an AMC from 1950 or 1951. Ordinarily I would have been happy with either but a quick perusal of the photos I have shows the cast doughnuts at the lower rear of the frame are different. Unfortunately the spares book does not clarify matters nor does Roy Bacon's restoration book.

I have a photo of both frames but the FAQ section of the forum suggests that I cannot add them to this post. Maybe I'm wrong. Here is a link to the frame that is held at Owens in Wrexham

https://www.owensmotorcycles.co.uk/spar ... frame.html

I cannot show you the other one. What I can say is that the dounghnut on the other one (which claims to be the 1952 AJS M20) is more of a teardrop shape. In fact it's more like the doughnut on this one. (By the way a check on this frame number with the dating service told me that its from a 1947 G80).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354100974695 ... R5D4r9PlYg

I'm sorry if all this is a bit confusing but I want to get it right and not waste my money. If anyone can help I would be most grateful.

Paul
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

The frame with the 2 holes going through casting is a 1955 frame. The other one when you done the search did you put the letter A in front of the number if not that's why you got 1947.
Roy
Trefor

Post by Trefor »

The one in the eBay photo is the same shape at my '52 G9, the single stud holds the oil tank and battery box brackets.