Trip spindle and key

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
EddieDay

Trip spindle and key

Post by EddieDay »

I saw a thread about someone not being able to reset the trip counter but I cannot find it again. I had the same problem. All there was under the speedo was a small spindle about half an inch long and 1/8" diameter which I couldn't grip. I noticed in the other post that the spindle has a small hole just over 1mm dia - say 0.050" - diameter. I guess there must have been an extension couple to this but I can't find it in the parts list. So I bought a piece of 3mm brass tube and turned a knob from 1/2" brass rod. (An old stair rod). Drilled a hole in the other end of the tube and couple it to the trip spindle with some wire. It works well.

The bike came with only one key, which made me worry about the consequences of losing it. The key is a simple Lucas job made from flat plate but I could not find a key listed in the AMOC website. My local Timpsons said they could not make one because they don't carry the blanks. So more tinkering in the workshop. The only issue was finding a piece of steel sheet of the right thickness - about 1.3 - 1.4mm. I had an old metal wall switch which was perfect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy G

Re: Trip spindle and key

Post by Andy G »

Nice work, and I'm sure very satisfying.
Well done!
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
Expat

Post by Expat »

Yes, nice job Eddie. :beer:
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Very satisfying to make something, for future reference there is a trip reset available from the club https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... duct=22623 this is the long version, I believe the key is available too https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... duct=22300.
EddieDay

Post by EddieDay »

Thanks Duncan. I need to improve my search technique for the Amoc store.
Radcap

Post by Radcap »

Nice job
EddieDay

Post by EddieDay »

:thumbup:
Thanks