Sealing the inner chaincase?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
KEES_MATCHLESS

Sealing the inner chaincase?

Post by KEES_MATCHLESS »

Hi there,

I am re-assembling my B52 ´54 Gearbox (Matchless G3LS ´53), after total Restoration. One of the problems I did have was oil leakage between the primary chain wheel and the chaincase. I am worrying about the sealing of the inner chaincase at the main shaft of the gearbox. See also the included pictures. It is a kind of plastic with a small circle of rubber (not shown) for sealing I think. To me it looks like a DIY made sealing.

The question is, how should the chain case be sealed, is there a part number which I can order or how can I do that?

Kind regards Kees

Inside
Outside
dave16mct

Re: Sealing the inner chaincase?

Post by dave16mct »

That looks home made but may work OK. There is a seal for comp models but none for road use. If you only fill the chaincase till it only just touches the very bottom of the primary chain you'll find that not much leaks out especially with the improved seal from the club.
Dave.
KEES_MATCHLESS

Post by KEES_MATCHLESS »

Hi Dave, thanks. I have a special an improved seal from the dutch parts supply which is leak free. Maybe I will glue the DIY plastic rubber seal to the inner chain case to minimize the change of leakage. I will keep the seal anyway.

Kind regards Kees
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

KEES_MATCHLESS wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:16 pm Maybe I will glue the DIY plastic rubber seal to the inner chain case to minimize the change of leakage. I will keep the seal anyway.

Very little (if any) oil will leak if the oil level in the chaincase is as Dave said. I've never noticed any oil leaking there from my '54 G3LS which doesn't have any sort of seal.

It's not a good idea to glue the seal in place as it needs to move to enable primary chain adjustment.
The Comp seal slides.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'