Spark Plug Crush Washer

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Michael Crawshaw

Spark Plug Crush Washer

Post by Michael Crawshaw »

Is the spark plug crush washer on a Matchless 1961 G3 required or not? (using KLG FE80 and equivalents)

Best regards Mike
Duncan

Re: Spark Plug Crush Washer

Post by Duncan »

Michael Crawshaw wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:28 am Is the spark plug crush washer on a Matchless 1961 G3 required or not? (using KLG FE80 and equivalents)

Best regards Mike
As far as I know all spark plugs have a crush washer, so I would say yes ( or are you referring to an additional washer?).
Michael Crawshaw

The only reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to resolve some oil leakage from the plug (rings and valves already tested) and someone asked me this rather obscure question, so thought I should at least check. General steerage off the web sites are if its supplied with one use it.

Mike
Michael Crawshaw

I am currently using one. The only reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to resolve some oil leakage from the plug (rings and valves already tested) and someone asked me this rather obscure question, so thought I should at least check. General steerage off the web sites are if its supplied with one use it.

Mike
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi I would say yes use a crush washer. On the other point re oil leakage it sounds like you may have a damaged or slack thread in the cylinder head . Another point to note is that there shouldn't be that much oil coming from the cylinder. Might need a bit of investigation. Others wiser than me will point you in the right direction.
MatthewC

Post by MatthewC »

I'm guessing the question may have been asked by someone unfamiliar with AMC bikes and possibly old bikes in general, as there are engines (I think mainly in cars) that use a tapered seat with no washer, but that definitely doesn't apply here, and you need a washer.