rocker oil supply

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Vink27A

rocker oil supply

Post by Vink27A »

I nearly finished the restoration of a 1956 army Matchless G3, now I'm checking the oil supply to the rockers, but it's quite low.( I'm used to the yield of my Venom). Okay, to check the oil supply before the first start after 45 years, I took out the cams and spark plug, replaced the cover. put it in 4th gear and run the rear wheel with a starter wheel. A lot of oil is blown out between bearing and timingshaft, but the rocker feed pipe is only dripping. I don't know what it should be for Matchless. How much pressure will the feedpipe give? Does this oilpump keep up the oil level in the pipe or will it drain back?
SPRIDDLER

Re: rocker oil supply

Post by SPRIDDLER »

A drip is fine as there are no rotating parts in the rocker box. The feed is only brief and intermittent from a tiny hole in the pump plunger.
See pump animation here:
Oil pump action..gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Vink27A

Post by Vink27A »

Thanks for the nice explanation, is it advisable to prime this oil pipe, because it takes a while before the first drop will be in top.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Not necessary to prime as long as there's some oil up there from when it was last run. The rocker axles have felt around them inside their support lugs which will have retained some oil. If the rocker box has just been rebuilt 'you' would've copiously oiled the moving parts and put a drop in the cups at the top of the pushrods.

The felt .......
Rocker assy b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'