G80 Ridgid rear stand

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Dungie62

G80 Ridgid rear stand

Post by Dungie62 »

Gentlemen I am restoring a 1951 Matchless G80. I have had this machine many many years. It was bought as a basket case.
I believe it’s missing a lug on the rear frame. For the spring for the rear stand. I think the lug should be about two inches forward of the pillion foot peg. Could someone help with a measurement from the centre of the pillion peg to the centre of the spring lug. All help appreciated. Sorry this is my first post hope it’s right.
clive

Re: G80 Ridgid rear stand

Post by clive »

I have what I believe to be a 49 rear loop. I will measure tomorrow although I think it would be safer to measure from stand bolt to the stud as I think this is unlikely to change regardless of the year of the Rear loop.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Dungie62

Post by Dungie62 »

Yes from the pivot bolt to the spring lug would be great. Once I get this sorted its off to the powder coaters. Thanks for your help Clive.
Mollbhan

Post by Mollbhan »

On my 48 mod 18 I measured 245mm centre to centre, I would wait on a reply from Clive or somebody else to back it up in case I picked up wrongly. The mod18 and the G80 should be the same.
clive

Post by clive »

Well thinking about it I think the most helpful measurement was from the lug on the stand to the lug on the frame. Centre to centre is 9 1/4 inches. Setting at this length would mean the stand spring was sufficiently extended to keep it up. The lug on the stand and the lug on the frame are similar dimensions.
20230827_101956.jpg
20230827_102034.jpg
Ps these photos show that I need to address some rust issues 🤣
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Dungie62

Post by Dungie62 »

Thanks very much gentlemen, this has solved the problem. This restoration is only just beginning I think I will be calling for your knowledge again. All help appreciated