Engine width

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Tazmantic

Re: Engine width

Post by Tazmantic »

:lol: :lol: that’s great sounds an absolute blast keep um coming it’s cheering me up no end :thumbup:
Everyday’s a learning curve.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Turned out I only needed half a carrot , so tomorrow i will break one in half before weighing and printing out the label at Tesco
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Can't really help much as I've measured two of Thrifty's c/cases which doesn't help at all as are both externally identical so I can only confirm what you already know insofar that all of the c/case mounting bosses are 3.50" wide (on both engines).
Crankcase width b.jpg

Incidentally, I assumed he liked runner beans so being a thoughtful chap I took round one of mine for him to have with his dinner.

CIMG2612.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Thanks guys that’s great so I presume there are spacers between the engine plates and frame and gearbox…

You go careful thrifty Pete half a carrot and a runner bean :lol:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Tazmantic wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:00 pm Thanks guys that’s great so I presume there are spacers between the engine plates and frame and gearbox…
Whatever spacers fit the one also fit the other.
You'll need to check the Spares List for details of the spacers as I couldn't access them to list/measure them on the assembled bike.
Just as an example here's a snip of the '47 list showing those spacers relevant to the area of the front chaincase...........
CIMG2604.JPG
CIMG2606.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Thanks spriddler that shows the spacer between engine plates is the same as the width of the early 350 engines but now I know where to look on the other parts lists.

Thank you

Just looked on the 1946 spares

350 is 2 1/2 spacer
500 is 3 1/2 spacer

So now just need to find the frame and gearbox spacers :thumbup:
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

thats because it from a 350 parts book , not the 500
sorry of i confused things . that said the 500 must therfore have spaces outside plates if the internal spacer is smaller on early 350 to 500
Perhaps that answers the question 500 engien 3.5" spavcer between plates and not outside , early 350 2.5" spacer with spacer outside plate
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Seek and ye shall find, it’s listed that the 500 has spacers either side of the gearbox and the 350 does not so think that also proves the 500 engine is wider.