AJS Model 16 350cc 1959

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Grinne

Re: AJS Model 16 350cc 1959

Post by Grinne »

Hi SPRIDDLER I have been waiting for you to get involved nice to hear from you like wise to Duncan and JACKSTRINGER also Clive. Yes to your answer SPRIDDLER it looks that way I have sent for some TUFNOL Insulation washers, I have also read about felt washers which I do not seem to have I do have an assortment of the red carbon washer like the ones that go on the Rocker Box Cover and I have the one that came with my new points a thin brown one that was behind the small nut on top of the points.
T Grinnell
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I can't resist a challenge.

I expect that the felt washer which you mention is the piece of felt which is for lubricating the points cam (but I stand to be corrected as I've never had a coil ignition bike).

I suspect that your wire to the coil is shorting to the threaded stud. Haven't been able to find a diagram in the various factory and Lucas manuals which are specific to your bike but here's a general arrangement of the connections and insulators which may help you to get them right...........
In short, the moving point contact 'spring' and the coil and condenser wires must be insulated from the threaded stud.
Points assembly and connections.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Grinne

Post by Grinne »

HI Cheers thanks for that SPRIDDLER It looks good to me I will give it a try tomorrow, I see where I maybe going wrong fingers crossed my friend.
T Grinnell
Grinne

Post by Grinne »

HI To you all JACKSTRINGER,DUNCAN,CLIVE, SPRIDDLER. I have been in my garage this morning and connected the wires as to you diagram SPRIDDLER and BINGO I NOW have a SPARK at the Sparkplug Thank You all so much. AS the song goes I,ll Get by with a little help from my Friends, all there is to do now is sort the ignition timing out see if I can get that right bye for now Good Buddies catch you later from Terry.
T Grinnell
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Grinne wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:54 am ...... connected the wires as to the diagram and BINGO I NOW have a SPARK at the Sparkplug........

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'