Engine alignment and foot rests.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
IKB

Engine alignment and foot rests.

Post by IKB »

Hi,
I’m doing some work on a 1953 ridgid ( frame No 6658) fitted with a 1956 500 engine, it looks like the bike had been thrown together so it could be sold!
The front engine mount is a one piece unit with a top on, I believe this should be two separate plates as the mag doesn’t line up?

The foot rest bar is 9 inches long so this must mean the foot rests fit inside the frame, as the footrest bosses are around 13/16 thick the left one is the correct size but the gap on the right is less than 3/4 , according to the parts book if a spacer was fitted it would be 1inch thick. If I loosen the front lower engine bolt where the frame fixed onto the crankcase I can spring the frame apart to fit the footrest, should there be a spacer between the frame and the crankcase? If so how thick?

I also find that I’m unable to get the gearbox sprocket to line up with the wheel sprocket, a straight edge from the gearbox sprocket lines up about 1/2 inch to the left of the wheel sprocket, it’s as if the engine is twisted a bit , I have got the gearbox lined up with the engine reasonably well .

Thanks Ian