Restoration advice 1961 250cc

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
morgano

Restoration advice 1961 250cc

Post by morgano »

Hello,

I have recently acquired a 1961 AJS 14 250cc and I really don't know where to start. I acquired it off of someone who bought it 19 years ago with the intention of a restoration however never got round to working on it. The engine turns however has not started in 19 years and is not in the condition to attempt starting it with most of the wiring being disconnected from it and a couple missing pieces such as the exhaust pipe!

Truthfully, I have never worked on any motorcycle before so I'm trying to learn as I go with manuals that I can find on the bike. My intention with the project isn't for a complete original restoration but more for a faithful one where I can use some original parts I still have however make "modern" upgrades where it suits whilst maintaining a clean look as to not offend any diehard fans.

But what I mainly wanted to know is if anyone has any advice on what my course of actions should be and where may be best to get parts. I understand parts can be bought through the club and I have noted an AMC parts website however are there any areas which can be upgraded or places which will offer compatible parts or even a way for me to search for compatible parts.

Thanks for any help as it is very much appreciated.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Restoration advice 1961 250cc

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the Forums, Morgan.
There's too much to cover in one reply and I'll ignore engine recommissioning stuff for the moment, but here's some brief info to get you started.....
Most of the factory-produced Owners, Workshop and Spares manuals are accessible in the link below. Look under 'Books'. The documentation is the same for AJS and Matchless Lightweights so either will be applicable.

http://archives.jampot.dk/

There are also practical hints and tips in this website's 'Technical Articles' section, available only to subscribers.

Exhaust systems are available from Armours and also Feked. Links below:

https://armourmotorproducts.co.uk/

https://www.feked.com/

Tailor made wiring looms are available if you don't want to re-use the existing.
Wiring components are available from several sources. Here's one:

https://www.electricalcarservices.com/P ... iMQAvD_BwE

The most common suppliers for our bike spares are the Club spares service, plus AMC Classic Spares (who also have s/h parts) and Russell Motors. The club spares are your best first port of call as in addition to standard stuff they invest profit from the spares service and club funds in producing low volume and special parts which other suppliers don't bother with. You may also find parts on eBay and the 'Spares' classified adverts on the main Jampot website (accessible only to Members).

Some will advise (quite sensibly) that the engine should be stripped and rebuilt as you don't know why and in what condition it was before it was left for 19 years. However, I don't look for trouble and would just do the basic maintenance checks first and see how/if it works O.K. Are you familiar with and equipped to deal with old Brit bike engines? [Edit: Ah, I now see you said not a lot, but no problem. More on that later if you want when you get to sorting the engine.]

Finally, get along to your local section where you'll be very welcome. Subscribe to club membership. It is only members' subs that fund the operation of the club, the monthly magazine, this website and the spares service. Your time as Guest is limited and you'll no doubt have a lot more questions.

Good luck with getting it sorted.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ChrisTheChippy

Re: Restoration advice 1961 250cc

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Couple of tips. Take lots of photos if you decide to dismantle anything! Tinware ( mudguards etc ) is very hard to find in good condition for these machines so try and preserve what you have. You obviously don't have a complete bike ATM so might be worth replacing what is missing doing some basic engine work ie change oil , filter , plug, points , check valve clearance replacement battery then go for a start up. You can then decide if you want a running restoration or do a full restoration. BTW please don't try to ride it down the road on ancient tyres for your own safety. Good luck with it you will get all the help and advice you need from club members and as spriddler has already pointed out club meetings are where you will meet like minded enthusiasts with a wealth of experience.