Front fprk dampers

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Roderick

Front fprk dampers

Post by Roderick »

The 1955 and 1961 Parts List seem to suggest that the front fork dampers on standard AMC machines (i.e. excluding G3C, CS or CSR machines) using 1 & 1/4 inch forks the same as those used on the earlier 1 & 1/8 inch forks. Is this so?

Rod
ajscomboman

Re: Front fprk dampers

Post by ajscomboman »

Nope it is a lie!!!! The earlier forks had a much shorter damper end where the bolt fits into the alloy slider and the oil holes drilled in a totally different place compared to the later 55 on forks. You can fit earlier dampers into later tubes but not the other way round. The earlier tubes are not relieved deep enough to allow the later longer damper end slide inside.
Roderick

Post by Roderick »

Thanks, Rob, you're right. I've had the chance since to measure up both the 1 & 1/8 inch and the 1 & 1/4 inch stauchions and the recess is 15/16 inches deep in the former but 3 & 23/32 inches deep in the latter. I'm up a gumtree now as I've no dampers to hand for the 1 & 1/8 inch forks and can see none for sale. Some more trampinhg round autojumbles required!

Rod
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

A wanted advert on the forum may get some responses, its Kempton Autojumble next Saturday but unfortunately a bit far from Yorkshire.