cylinder head gasket

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
jimh

cylinder head gasket

Post by jimh »

I have a 1955 G3LCS which for some time now has been 'blowing' between the head and barrel, I now have the head off and it appears the joint has been 'lapped in' so many times over the years it is no longer sealing.
My question do I make a thin copper gasket to sit in the head recess or I do have a standard touring model gasket, 013793, and use that, the difference being the standard gasket sits around the the barrel liner not on top of it.
Anybody else met with this problem before?
Thanks Jim
jackstringer

Re: cylinder head gasket

Post by jackstringer »

There should be a nice copper gasket there already.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

jackstringer wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:31 pm There should be a nice copper gasket there already.
Not on a comp with alloy barrel and head, the joint was simply lapped.

So to answer the question, yes you can stick a copper ring gasket in there. I've done the same and will do so again on this 16C I'm assembling. I got fed up lapping in joints only for them to weep after a short while. Since using copper gaskets never had to look at them again.
jimh

Post by jimh »

Thanks for the prompt reply, when you say put a copper ring gasket in did you make one up to suit the original sealed joint or did you use the standard touring model gasket that sits over the barrel holding down studs?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

jimh wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:37 pm Thanks for the prompt reply, when you say put a copper ring gasket in did you make one up to suit the original sealed joint or did you use the standard touring model gasket that sits over the barrel holding down studs?
I knew you were going to ask me that! I can't rightly remember what I used first time round, but as I'm about to do it again I'll have to see what fits. I'm thinking it was a standard tourer gasket as I didn't make anything special to fit onto the 52 LC
jimh

Post by jimh »

I already had the standard gasket 013793 in my spares box and looking at it today I don't see why it shouldn't seal the joint so I will give it a try.