AFS G3L 1953

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
greeneunos

AFS G3L 1953

Post by greeneunos »

Hi sorry to post again but i am having dificulty finding the sales catologues section for the AFS on the site , i'm still struggling to find written paperwork anywhere showing the matching frame to number plate for my matchless LYO847 so i can reclaim the original number for it , i have tried the the hmvc , AFS forums afs museum etc etc etc , there is no doubt that my bike is LYO 847 , MATCHING frame engine numbers from the factory , i have copiies of the original order by the home office to natchless but it does not show the frame number , which i need as evidence for the dvla , any ideas ?
thanks mike
ajscomboman

Re: AFS G3L 1953

Post by ajscomboman »

If you go to www.jampot.com which is the club main website you'll find the AFS register link there on the right hand side. The forum is held on a different server and not part of the main page.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

LYO was a London registration. First issued in March 1951 last issued in June 1952. So it's odd the bike you have is a 1953 model. London DVLA records have all been destroyed apart from a few 1917 records. So it seems the only way you may be able to reclaim the old reg. no. is by having the old log book. Has the club dating officer checked your bikes frame number via factory records ?
greeneunos

Post by greeneunos »

Hi
Thanks for the reply , LYO 847 was registered in london you are quite correct and then shipped straight from the factory after having been repainted green over the standard black .
I have had the information from the dating officer at the owners club confirming engine and frame numbers are matching , i have a copy of the original home office order for the first 8 bikes which were LYO840 through LYO847 , 6 out of 7 of the original 8 evaluation bikes for the AFS have been accounted for & either sold at ruddington and are on the dvla database , the home office contract for the bikes is dated 15/06/1953.
i have applied to swansea to see if they have any record of it still on their data base , but it seems the bike was ( lost) when it was due to be sold off , i have spoken to a retired fire officer from stretford fire station who remembers 'an old bike under a tarp ' for many years probably mine , and i bought it of the wife of the gentleman who aquired it , unfortunately he has passed away so the trail is cold , i am determined to get it back on its original number , i just need that one piece of documentation that shows the reg plate with the frame number .
its not in doubt that the bike i have is LYO847 i just will then have to convince swansea
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have a few auction catalogues LYO 847 was not listed in any. They did not give frame numbers anyway. I assume the AFS bikes were sold off circa 1969. I was in the AFS up until it was disbanded. Still got my uniform. All we had to give back were the helmets. Sorry could not help.
greeneunos

Post by greeneunos »

thanks rob
greeneunos

Re: AFS G3L 1953 LYO 847

Post by greeneunos »

Hi Thanks for the directions to the AFS register maybe i am looking for something that is not there ?
Does the register have a list of the known survivors and not just a list of the known AFS bikes that were issued to the civil defence ?
I have up to now contacted numerous people in the London museum Archive no joy there , the AFS museum , Lancashire archives etc etc the Military vehicle forum etc etc and i have sent off a v888 to Swansea to see if they have any info on my bike ( that they are willing to share ) Waiting for a reply there .
I have posted on various forums but as we all know its who is watching at the time , i just need the number and frame on the same bit of paper to help me reclaim the number ,
From your experiance is it worth keep posting this type of note on the forums or will it get on peoples t===s and any new ideas would be most welcome , i also have to say thanks to brian at jampot for all his advise
thanks mike
greeneunos

Post by greeneunos »

didnt realise i had posted it twice thanks
Last edited by greeneunos on Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
clive

Post by clive »

Post twice and it may wind people up!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You know the DVLA London records have been destroyed, and Swansea have no record of the bike. You know what factual evidence Swansea require to reclaim the number. You must know it's not likely you will find an old log book etc.
I recently spent many hours scaning all old Jampot magazines up to 2004, They are all here http://www.jampot.com/C_MagsArchiveList.asp on the club website, free for all members to read, download or printout. There is a lot of long forgotten history in these club magazines. If you start at the time the AFS bikes were sold off, you may discover article's about this in the magazines.
I did notice some AFS bike articles when scanning the magazines. I cannot recall which issues.