Brake change.

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Loughrival36

Brake change.

Post by Loughrival36 »

I have a 1946 g3l with a 5 1/2" brake and 1 1/8" forks, same as WD model. I want to fit 1952 twin shock wheel with 7" brake, has anyone done this?

Peter
clive

Re: Brake change.

Post by clive »

It should be possible. You would need the brake stay and possibly a brake lever too. The spindle and bearings should be transferable. I wonder if you will find the effort rewards you with much improvement to the braking? You might get more result from having your existing brake drum skimmed. Had this done on a 5 1/2 inch brake and after the shoes had bedded in the improvement was significant. Other improvements could be delivered by the reduction in trailing shoe lining a la Spriddler, or possibly fitting a cable with a thicker outer although i have never felt the need to try the latter.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Loughrival36

Post by Loughrival36 »

Thanks Clive,
Have tried heavier cable, did not find a deal of difference. I need a new rim and spokes, I can get a good 2nd hand wheel with 7" brake, would cost about the same.

Peter
clive

Post by clive »

Well if it is the rim and spokes you are replacing all good. Don't get rid of the earlier wheel though, the next owner may be grateful for it.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix