Oil leaks - quick Q

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Oggers

Oil leaks - quick Q

Post by Oggers »

Chaps

Still not absolutely certain my leaks are not coming from the crankcase join just above the filter housing. As a thought, would pressure be reduced in the housing by removing the felt filter? A short test run after cleaning the area, running with no filter, and then checking for drips may prove something......I am thinking there must be quite a bit of pressure in there, which may be finding its way through the crankcase halves join - especially if PO has omitted any gasket.
Oggers

Re: Oil leaks - quick Q

Post by Oggers »

.....and to add, another potential oil leak path just discovered. A thorough check revealed that on removing the dyanamo retaining strap away from the top threaded bar upon which a nut tightens that same strap over the dynamo, that the tapped hole for that bar is weeping oil. Not much, but definitely something there. On removing the small length of threaded bar/screw call it what you will, that the tapped hole is NOT blind! It seems that there is an open passage to the crankcase. as evidenced by me poking a wire right through it!

This bike seems to be a veritable booby trap for anyone seeking an oil free lifestyle! So, thread tape and a plug of RTV mastic seems to be in order....We'll try again....
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Oggers wrote:So, thread tape and a plug of RTV mastic seems to be in order.
Hi

I've got into the habit of dipping all threads into Wellseal before I assemble them - the theory being it will stop oil wicking along the threads and when 'cured' it affords some resistance to the thread unscrewing due to vibration should it lose torque.

Guess you could do similar with silcone, (RTV), but I avoid it for fear of excess entering the oil system.

Regards Mick
Oggers

Post by Oggers »

Mick

I can tell you I have got into the habit of using Wellseal, RTV, Hylomar, thread tape, weld, solder, gasket compound, and Belzona on each and every joint. In fact, I seriously doubt whether this bike will ever be oil tight until it is completely encased in resin - and even then the blasted thing will leak somewhere.... :headbang:
clive

Post by clive »

I certainly would not use a plug of RTV if it is not a blind hole. Too much risk of the plug getting sucked into the crankcase. Concentrate on sealing the threads.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Oggers

Post by Oggers »

Clive - there is a risk perhaps but surely mitigated by the fact that the crankcase is at positive pressure when the bike is running?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Oggers wrote: the fact that the crankcase is at positive pressure when the bike is running
Not so sure about that :? :?
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

I understood that the point of the breather is to create negative pressure in the crankcase, to reduce resistance as the piston descends, and to reduce oil leaks. Andy