Despite looking after her by

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Despite looking after her by

Post by Plugsnpoints »

charging with my float charger during renovation, she's decided to retire.

So-what battery would you kind people recommend for my 6 volt coil ignition M16? (late 1957).

It's not on show as it's behind the toolbox cover.

Thanks ladies and gents.

Andy
Greybeard

Re: Despite looking after her by

Post by Greybeard »

One of these -
http://burlen.co.uk/6-volt-battery.html

My '61 G80 has been running with one for several years. They hold charge for months on end even when the bike isn't used over winter. I've tried Motobatt 6v AGM ones and they've generally lasted no more than 2 or 3 years before giving up the ghost. Wet cells are just not worth the candle. My oldest Burlen battery is around 15 years old now and still working happily away.

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Greybeard wrote:One of these -
http://burlen.co.uk/6-volt-battery.html

My '61 G80 has been running with one for several years. They hold charge for months on end even when the bike isn't used over winter. I've tried Motobatt 6v AGM ones and they've generally lasted no more than 2 or 3 years before giving up the ghost. Wet cells are just not worth the candle. My oldest Burlen battery is around 15 years old now and still working happily away.

Steve
I have that one also. Mine's 15 years old this month and has remained fully charged over more than 24 months.
It's only 5Ah but I have magneto ignition.
2019-11-19 005 (640x480).jpg
It fits in a battery shell although that's not important for you.
2019-11-20 Burlen 6V 5Ah battery 009 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

I need to buy a 6 volt battery for my G80S. I like the look of the Burlen one. Would my Optimate trickle charger be suitable for this type of battery or would it need a different type of charger? Cheers. Bruce.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated as ever.

Andy :beer:
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

It should be fine, Bruce, but to be on the safe side I would check with Burlen first. I use a 6v CTek charger for mine which once the battery is full goes onto a cyclic maintenance mode, at which point I disconnect it. If you do go for a Burlen battery there's no real benefit in leaving them on charge permanently because they take months to discharge anyway.
If you prefer to have more capacity you can connect two Burlen in parallel and the pair will still fit in a battery Lucas style case - it does get expensive though ;)

Steve
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

If you use Burlen batteries like the one in the photo, make sure you dry out the rubber case, again as per photo, regularly. Mine accumulated water from riding in the rain and cleaning, so the connector on the battery at the bottom of the case corroded and broke off, rendering the battery U/S. Andy